10 Free Amp Sims Shootout

Wyldechyld

Jordan Guthrie
Jan 22, 2011
Oklahoma, US
Hey guys, I made a quick shootout of what I think are the best free amp sims currently available. I just used a simple riff, so if you get bored while listening I apologize in advance. I kept it the same so it'd be easier to tell the differences between the amps. What do you think?

EDIT: Here are the DIs and stems so you can try it with your own set up: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29437721/Amp Shootout.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, a very good results and very good sounding mix.

Is it possible to get drums and bass stems and guitar DI's to repeat an experiment? Can't get near to yours.

the Lextac´s set up with too much bass for my likings, or it just doesn´t have as much midrange and treble as the others do.
but there´s good and totally usable sounds with all ten amps :)

Thank you, a very good results and very good sounding mix.

Is it possible to get drums and bass stems and guitar DI's to repeat an experiment? Can't get near to yours.
Thanks man! I added the DIs and stems to the original post!

the Lextac´s set up with too much bass for my likings, or it just doesn´t have as much midrange and treble as the others do.
but there´s good and totally usable sounds with all ten amps :)
Thanks! :D

Just too bad not a single one of these is available for Pro Tools!

Oh well I have a Kemper. Just too lazy sometimes to pull it out of the bag.

I use the emissary quite often on Pro Tools 11. I just load it up through Blue Cat Patchwork and it works flawlessly.

Wish I had a Kemper though :(

Just too bad not a single one of these is available for Pro Tools!

Oh well I have a Kemper. Just too lazy sometimes to pull it out of the bag.

Check out FXpansion VST to VST to RTAS converter. I've seen it in action and it really delivered conversion smoothly.

Man it's been a while since I've properly delved into sims, there are tons here that I haven't even heard of and sound great!
I just recently came across Emissary and I'm liking that one a lot!

Thanks for files!

Guitar DI's sounds pre-distorted. Have you used overdrive or something?
No, the guitar is straight into a Line 6 Toneport

Same cab IR with all the sims?

Yeah. I kept the cab IRs the same with all the sims to keep that aspect of the demo the same.

No, the guitar is straight into a Line 6 Toneport
Maybe you forgot to switch off screamer when exporting DIs?
(because, I suppose, you recording in 24 bits instead of 16)
DIs definitely looks like screamer processed, active pickups DI looks different.

Hey guys, I made a quick shootout of what I think are the best free amp sims currently available. I just used a simple riff, so if you get bored while listening I apologize in advance. I kept it the same so it'd be easier to tell the differences between the amps. What do you think?

EDIT: Here are the DIs and stems so you can try it with your own set up: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29437721/Amp Shootout.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhT_qv_LIw

Nice tone. Can you talk about the guitar settings? I would like to know what guitar model, pickups, string gauge, guitar tuning and interface were used for this test. Did you use a DI box or just DI to the interface?

Nice tone. Can you talk about the guitar settings? I would like to know what guitar model, pickups, string gauge, guitar tuning and interface were used for this test. Did you use a DI box or just DI to the interface?

Thanks man! The guitar is an LTD MH-351 NT with EMG 81/85. Strings are Dunlop Heavy Core .010-.048. And interface is a Line 6 Toneport UX1