Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Amp C

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Amp D

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Amp E

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Hmm, yeah, definitely not a fan of the Recto tone, undergained, and too much treble, though that isn't as obvious here, but when you turn up, the beehive will emerge, which is why after much experimentation I settled on these settings:

Settings.jpg

For this clip, which I'm pretty damn happy with! So SCSH, nice try, but despite the fact that you look for every opportunity to bash Mesa, how one is tweaked definitely makes a difference ;)

yup only copped how under gained it was after we were done:oops: the mesa and 6505 are my fav out of all the amps but the laney was definatley a suprise will be trying that amp out for live pretty soon me thinks

Hmm, yeah, definitely not a fan of the Recto tone, undergained, and too much treble, though that isn't as obvious here, but when you turn up, the beehive will emerge, which is why after much experimentation I settled on these settings:

Settings.jpg

For this clip, which I'm pretty damn happy with! So SCSH, nice try, but despite the fact that you look for every opportunity to bash Mesa, how one is tweaked definitely makes a difference ;)

Hahaha! No wuckas mate, not bashing them buddy, just giving advice out that for the money, you can get a whole arsenal for the price of a MESA. Are they good?, fuck yeah, are they great?, for rock, yep, and the build quality is awesome, and they look the toughest amp ever built.

Am I looking for every opportunity to bash them? nah! I have never said they sound like arse, in fact I praise them in a lot of catagories, but 2 catagories dont cut it with me, and thats the price, and the overall chunk of them, thats it.

The "how one is tweaked definitely makes a difference" claims are wearing a bit thin. :) I have heard from a lot of owners that they are finicky when dialing in a sound, so I say this to mesa, "Dial your finicky recs in at the factory and weld the knobs down so that they dont move, seeing as there is basically only one finicky setting on these things, you would save a lot of potential buyers a lot of time. Oh, and cut the price in half!" I'd hate to try and dial in a ROADKING! :heh:

There have been a lot of threads regarding "sonic maximizers" (how overated they are) and "tubescreamers" (how there is bugger all difference between them) and "power tubes" (how your not supposed to hear a difference) and some hear say its all in your head. I would put the "recs" up there with them. If (some) MESA owners think that by spending a ridiculous amount on a amp head justifies whats coming out of the cab as the "magic amp for metal", then realizing FUCK, that Peavey sounds awesome, or gees that Krank slays or fuck that Engl sounds tough, then reality kicks in, "fuck, that was a lot of coin I spent, shoulda bought something else", "oh well, ebay it is then".

Ebay is littered with nearly new and second hand mesas, and you can almost guarantee that the wording would be "I have no more time for this baby, I am buying a house" or "It has been the best amp on the planet, but sadly I am not in a band anymore" or "this things to loud, the neighbours are complaining, so it has to go". When all they are trying to do is get back 60% of their money so they can get something else.

Are mesas good? yes. Do I want to spend a shit load and take forever to "dial that finicky tone in" and then it still lacks a bit of something, no!
Your mesa clips are good mate, (Melodic Metal), but the only great rec tone I have heard is that of Cannibal Corpse, (most here wont like that tone), and some Nevermore stuff. But then apparently, tone is 70% in the fingers! :)

Well the difference is that Mesas are *almost* considered budget amps here, compared to Engl, Diezel, Bogner, etc., yet I know I'd rather have a Dual Rec (or Roadster, probably) more than any amp by any of those companies. So I can't say I share that bitterness about the price influencing my opinion, I just know that tone I posted above has far more low-end chunk (perhaps we have a different definition of the word) than any Peavey could hope to match IMO, cuz that's not their forte! (but rather powerful present upper mids, at least when dialed in how I like, I've never liked how a 5150 sounds when it attempts to do the low-mid thing, it sounds far more at home to me in the upper mids a la the Soldano SLO100 it was based on!)

Well the difference is that Mesas are *almost* considered budget amps here, compared to Engl, Diezel, Bogner, etc., yet I know I'd rather have a Dual Rec (or Roadster, probably) more than any amp by any of those companies. So I can't say I share that bitterness about the price influencing my opinion, I just know that tone I posted above has far more low-end chunk (perhaps we have a different definition of the word) than any Peavey could hope to match IMO, cuz that's not their forte! (but rather powerful present upper mids, at least when dialed in how I like, I've never liked how a 5150 sounds when it attempts to do the low-mid thing, it sounds far more at home to me in the upper mids a la the Soldano SLO100 it was based on!)

"I just know that tone I posted above has far more low-end chunk (perhaps we have a different definition of the word) than any Peavey could hope to match IMO" ..... that is a huge call, considering that the clip posted is not a clip designed for "metal chunk" as it is a distorted happy chord progression that is just a beefed up version of a hard rock riff back in the 90s.

My definition of chunk is just that, "CHUNK!" Thick as fuck, bottom dwelling pounding, not happy single muted strings that are played with the touch of a "Velvet sledgehammer". Peavey has this in tons, '(just ask Gary Holt,) and everything in between!

Sure gramps, whatever you say :loco: Insulting my songwriting and my playing? That's really the sign of a strong counterargument.

Sure gramps, whatever you say :loco: Insulting my songwriting and my playing? That's really the sign of a strong counterargument.

Never insulted your playing dude, and the clip is what i said it is, no malice in it mate, you know when I say METAL I mean (Hate Eternal, Cannibal Corpse etc ....), not (Killswitch and Crab whatever the fuck it is)!

Your clips sound as though they are played with bugger all intensity, hence the style, I am not bagging it, we were discussing "CHUNK". It is my opinion and it was no way meant to be insulting. if I was to be insulting, it would have plenty of swearing in it. Your sound and your playing suit your style well, thats good, its just not as METAL as some other styles (especially death).

I apologise if it offended you, I in no way meant that to happen, just debating the chunk thing thats all. :)