Free or cheap synth/string/orchestra VST's?

Just looking for something to lay ideas down with, something preferably not CPU-rapey!

Any recommendations? I've seen a few out there but they look a bit... ghetto :lol:

well, you have a ghetto budget, so what's the problem? :loco:

I see/hear this question all the time. There's none I know of, good and cheap orchestral VSTi's.

I am not sure about completely free VSTs, I'd imagine they would be waaay too synthy.

EWQL Symphonic Orchestra is great but I've heard it's a bit of a hard drive/CPU hog. I have Edirol Orchestral, I love it since it's low on CPU and HD usage. Orchestral doesn't touch EWQL in terms of realism, however I actually like strings a teeny-weeny bit synthy as I use strings for ambience rather than as a lead instrument. If you've checked out Dandelium's stuff on this forum, you'll hear very realistic string sounds from EWQL, if you prefer that path - I think it perfectly fits his style of music as its orchestral metal.

I love Miroslav Philharmonic, it runs on the Sampletank engine and has a shitload of orchestral instruments... can't remember what I paid for it but it was definitely worth it many times over