French Metal Scene

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Anyone familiar with the French Metal Scene? It seems it's akin to the Irish scene, with tons of quality bands, but are often overshadowed by the Scandinavian counterparts.

The ones I'm familiar with are:

Nehemah
Kristallnacht (NSBM)
Nydvind (a lot of you Heathen metal lovers will like this band)
Bran Barr (similar to Cruachan's awesome debut)
Himinbjorg

Anyone familiar with these:

Heol Telwen (Celtic black metal)
Temple of Baal (black metal)
Belenos (Celtic black metal)
Despond (funeral doom)
Nunkthul ("brutal" black metal)
Acromion (death thrash metal)
Aes Dana (Celtic black metal)
Hyadningar (Pagan black metal)

DISCLAIMER: This thread created because it's Friday, I'm at my job, and I ain't got shit to do.

Mütilation is supposed to be good. Battlehorns are decent. I'm sure you're familiar with Blut Aus Nord too? I guess you'd enjoy Nehëmah (edit: Didn't see that you listed them in your first post).

As for your list, I'm not too familiar with those bands.

Well i dont know if anyone is interested in the 80s (mostly) French metal scene (this one interests me)
Northwinds (great folk/doom metal, imagine Count Raven with some folk instruments and melodies)
Sortilege (traditional heavy metal)
Steel Angel (raw and epic heavy metal)
Malediction ( very good power/speed metal)
Lonewold (heavy metal in the vein of Running Wild)
stuff like that

Belenos have two full-length : Errances Oniriques & Spicilège , the latter being a little cleaner and closer to what we could call pagan-metal though it's not really . Basically , they are a mix beetween Taake & Primordial (don't blame me for such inaccurate comparisons , I don't have any other band coming to my mind) with mostly black vocals , clean singing is aptly used as the acoustic parts . This band is well known for his consistency . A like/dislike band

I'm not familiar with Despond , but read good reviews . In the funeral doom domain Monolithe are a must (at least France-wide , not a quality mark but.. ;) ) .
Monolithe's II isscheduled for around September , the first I has been released for a couple of months now (maybe a year now) . I consists in a single 52 min. song . I think they've got reviews on their website , never checked .. http://www.monolithe.free.fr/

I'm not aware of many of your bottom list , Temple Of Baal is as Eternal Majesty and Deathspell Omega quality black-metal that's all i can remember.

Others i can recommand :
Hegemon (kind of swedish black-metal quite well produced)
Blessed In Sin (NSBM - Heavy/Black)
Osculum Infame (NSBM , never checked , sold-out or so, everybody's talking about a masterpiece, maybe some mp3's..)
SUP/Supuration Not a favorite of mine at all but it semms it's an acquired taste and they surely have their own style
The Black Legions : Mutilation , Vermeth etc..

There would be tons to say , and I'm not an expert plus I'm tired

Just search Monolithe in the search field , and I think that's it , the order is prolly simple after , ask if problem .

I just placed an order with them for two CDs. Woulda been more, but with the weak dollar, I have to be selective when paying in euros.

J: Battlehorns play raw black metal with a ditto production. Worth checking out if you're into that genre.

Also, good call Sorath. Deathspell Omega's "Si Mvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice" is definitely worth checking out. In my opinion, it's much better than Blut Aus Nord's "The Work Which Transforms God", which has been getting lots of praise.

henrikmain said:
Deathspell Omega's "Si Mvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice" is definitely worth checking out. In my opinion, it's much better than Blut Aus Nord's "The Work Which Transforms God", which has been getting lots of praise.
Time to check out Deathspell Omega, I was already intrigued by that interview posted awhile back.

Black Winter Day said:
I'm getting mine from THR... unless you have something against the Swedes. :p
I might have to do the same. I've yet to crack the ice with buying from THR.

Hey BWD, for some reason I think you've gotten a lot of the Adipocere/Oakenshield promos recently. There was Berserk (on RC now) and in the pipeline: new Himinbjorg, Nehema, and Crystallium....thoughts? Or better yet, actual reviews? :p

JayKeeley said:
I might have to do the same. I've yet to crack the ice with buying from THR.

Hey BWD, for some reason I think you've gotten a lot of the Adipocere/Oakenshield promos recently. There was Berserk (on RC now) and in the pipeline: new Himinbjorg, Nehema, and Crystallium....thoughts? Or better yet, actual reviews? :p
oh yes. those 3 from adipocere will be sent as soon as i get to my laptop. i was quite surprised that one of them was so good (i.e. it has elements that i usually don't enjoy), one is fairly strong and another is... well, just wait and see. :loco:

i also have these in the works:

BATHORY - The Return (for the tribute)
BATHORY - Blood Fire Death (I know Erik is doing another one, but I figured we're going to have multiple reviews for nearly every album)
NASHEIM - Undergang
ULVER - Bergtatt (finally!)
ARCANE SUN - s/t (possibly)