Fretless Bass

NMEShoe

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2003
I was just wondering if Tyr ever breaks out a fretless, as some pictures i've seen indicate he does

yea some of the work on Empiricism is done with a fretless. Im sure Tyr could elaborate which songs or parts (its obviously heard in a few songs).

I'm getting a carvin six string, and it looks like the fretless versions are pretty good.

I have 6 basses now, but I have never bought a fretless. I have however converted my horrible Ibanez GSR100 into a fretless using a knife. Its not quite the same, but its certainly a cheaper method.

another place for a fretless is www.carvin.com its a semi-custom shop here in the US that has some pretty good prices considering the quality of their work. right now, steve digiorgio is the only person i can think of that has one

Tyr said:
I use Rotosound roundwound for my fretted and Rotosound flatwound for my fretless

And what about the new Borknagar album? You'll use more fratless? (It'll be great :Spin: )

Do you know when'll be finish it? And something about the title, and song titles?

Tyr said:
I use Rotosound roundwound for my fretted and Rotosound flatwound for my fretless
swing bass 66 for the fretted
and jazz bass 77 for the five strings fretless
what gauges for each ? and what strings will you use with a 6 strings fretless ??

thanks man !

thebigyetti said:
another place for a fretless is www.carvin.com its a semi-custom shop here in the US that has some pretty good prices considering the quality of their work. right now, steve digiorgio is the only person i can think of that has one

I currently own two Carvin basses, a 4-string (older model LB20 that I bought used from my friend Melanie) and a 5-string (XB75-5-string model with an extended scale of 35 1/4 inches; asymetrical, wide neck; no inlays; stained black, AAAA-grade quilted maple body top over an alder body and maple neck through with ebony fingerboard and gold hardware).

I've got the 5-string strung up with Carvin's medium gauge 5 strings and the 4-string set up with GHS Inifinity strings. You'll know them if you see them because the outer winding is red.

I love them to death. They sound great and play great. If you're in southern California, you can go to one of their stores in the area and try out equipment (I also have one of their guitars, too). They also have a 10 day refund policy. No questions asked. :)