fretless beginner - need advice with a guitar

supertrooper

New Metal Member
Aug 6, 2008
I have played fretted bass for 9 years now, but I feel it's high time I made this challenging but tempting shift to the fretless universe :) I just got hired by this band where they try to play jazzy cynic-atehist influenced metal so I figured fretless bass sound would be a good addition... I have listened to and followed Steve for years now so who else would be the best guy to ask! What instrument would you recommend for a beginner fretless player? I know you're an ESP guy (so am I), but what other good options are there? What do you think of Schecter Stiletto Studio? What's really good and reasonably-priced (<=$1000) on the market with active EQ's? Any word of wisdom from the guru would be appreciated :)

Thanks Steve!

Steve now plays a Thor Costum bass. Never heard it but I liked the tone he got from his ESP, but it was a Custom Shop, very expensive!

Yamaha is now selling their TRB fretlesses for cheap (compared to what they costed new_) I think it would be a good choice.

Carvin makes great fretlesses. You can get one used for ~$800 on ebay.

Pedulla also makes some really interesting fretless basses, but they're boutique instruments, so if you've got a big wad of cash, then they're an axcellent choice.

I love Carvin equipment. My 810:
gear001.jpg

I really don't reccomend the gary willis model. the good one is overpriced to (2500&#8364; in my country). Carvin is better in that aspect, good bass for the money.

I know he does. And Sean Malone does to. But the only way you can get a different sound from that bass is from the way you pluck it. Closer to neck or to the bridge, lighter or harder touch, etc. Just one pickup doesn't do it for me.

I'm not an Ibanez fan.