Fretless start

Ghed

New Metal Member
Jun 1, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Hi bass freak!
I have an important question .. I started to play bass 7 years ago and now I decided to try to play a fretless..
.. I am really afraid .. any suggestions?
And you, Steve?
Thank you
Flavio - Italia

This is from www.garywillis.com

Hey Willis,
I've been playing bass since I was 14 (25 now), but stopped playing 3 years ago 'cause of complications of college and work. Anyway I'm ready to pick up my strings again, and wanna go on to fretless (exclusively) but I AM a little nervous about intonation, as I played fretted exclusively before and the one time I tried a fretless bass I really SUCKED. Any thoughts on jumping on the fretless bandwagon?

Great to hear you're thinking about a comeback. I'm still a little nervous about intonation myself. Maybe you've heard this before but some good advice I heard once was that to be good at something you have to be willing to be bad at it for a while. It's one thing to be bad on a fretted but as you know, to be bad on a fretless....well, let's say it's not for the faint of heart. There's no such thing as a schedule or a time in your life when you should already have this together or that. Here's what I found out not long after taking up fretless. If you do all your practicing on a fretless, a fretted is pretty damn easy....Maybe practice fretless in private, play fretted in public and make the switch whenever you feel you're ready.

-----------

hope it helps.

I've played a fretless only once in my life, jsut picked it up at a used music store to give it a shot for fun, and quite frankly i loved it.

I didn't (seem to me at least) to have any problems adjusting... it only got complicated towards the higher frets :s. But I would totally not be afraid to make the switch even if it does mean alot of extra work for a little while, its so damn cool!

Best of luck to yaz tho, but no one should be intimidated by it until they've tried it.

Nah, c'mon. It's not like you're switching from the kazoo to the bassoon. You just have to be better at finding the right notes and not relying on a fret. Yeah, you need to think alittle differently with the intonation and all...but it's still an a electric bass. Play's pretty much the same. More slides, less chords; limited tapping but less dead spots. At least you don't have to learn a bow technique along with fingering position like I did when I was a kid.

Bah, no reason to fear the Fretless... It´s just another bass, but without frets (Oh! How Brilliant I Am!)

It´s just like ridding a car without a steering whell. At the first time, you don´t know where the F*** you should start, but after some time it´s just fun.

(I´m not that good at comparison)