Fri 3/18/05 ~something to do

Steph Harris

Maidens' Bass
If any of you like classical music and don't already have plans for this Friday evening, you may want to check out South Coast Symphony. I'll be in the bass section. The program is : Russlan and Ludmilla/ Glinka, Little Fugue in G/ Bach, Te Deum/ Bruckner, and Symphony #2 "Little Russian"/ Tchaikovsky. Check out www.southcoastsymphony.org for more info. Hopefully I'll see some of you there. :Spin:

Cool! You play double bass too? Multi-talented!! Is that you on the right??
Full%20Orchestra%20Picture.jpg

They gonna make a Coffin case for ya? :tickled: :D

:headbang: I didn't know you were into classical music, it figures, because Maiden is like the big classical composers of the electric guitar. I always liked rush's 2112, but Maiden is something like Beethoven in complexity or constant modification of idea. It’s fun to play too!

That's cool! I played cello in HS orchestra, but it just wasn't for me. I was good and can still fake it sometimes - like those rare times I actually get to touch one. Of course, I hear Apocaliptica and want to take it up again! :headbang: Have a good show... I'd be there if I was 400 miles closer! :D

PS - Thanks for the reminder... I spoke to the Coffin Case people today... I'll be placing an order with them this month! (gotta buy 6 though!) I tried at NAMM, but we never met up. Damn pointy guitars need special cases!! :hotjump:

If Coffin case made a case for your upright, you could take a nap in it Wanda! :lol: You have to see Wanda walking with her upright strapped on her back like a backpack. From the back view it looks like a walking bass with little feet! No wonder you have such killer calves!

BichMaker said:
PS - Thanks for the reminder... I spoke to the Coffin Case people today... I'll be placing an order with them this month! (gotta buy 6 though!) I tried at NAMM, but we never met up. Damn pointy guitars need special cases!! :hotjump:

they were way busy at namm huh. the coffingirls cause quite a stir :headbang: and that's why i went with coffin, cuz that's the only case that would fit my b.c. :) even tho i have a strat style the headstock is long. extra bonus for the plush final resting place for my axe tho. what color did you get? i picked purple but they should have yellow!

Doodoobubbachuck said:
If Coffin case made a case for your upright, you could take a nap in it Wanda! :lol: You have to see Wanda walking with her upright strapped on her back like a backpack. From the back view it looks like a walking bass with little feet! No wonder you have such killer calves!

I would think it would just be a coffin, rather than a Coffin Case :D The flight case that my 12 string bass came it is big enough that Wanda would fit in it :p

BichMaker said:

Your buying six Coffin Cases already? Man, you don't F_ around.

Well, 6 is their minimum order for a "dealer" price. Even though I'm a builder and usually get OEM pricing, I can't buy large quantities, so dealer pricing was the best I could get. For my custom bass, I needed to get the "universal bass" flight case, which has the red inside. I also need the monster sized 200-VX for the Beasts I'm building - those are black inside. I also need to get a Black Kross Bass Case for a customer... that's 4 out of 6 right there. Just gotta figure out the other 2 now! Didn't see yellow in the catalog though.

Sara - you get the frets done on her yet?

Unless something diabolical happens, I'm gonna go tonight. Will be neat to get some culture and see Wanda perform in another setting.:cool:
Is headbanging allowed? Hee Hee:tickled:

So I went to the symphony last night, something I have never done before, and it was a really good experience with great music. Highly recommended if you want to see something different... as you would expect, this is NOT a Maiden audience!:D It is amazing that all those people on stage can be in sync with all the varied instruments. When I got there they gave me a seat in the 4th row, which was about ankle level of the stage... I thought it might be a little tough spotting Wanda from there... but to my surprise- when I looked up there she was at the edge of the stage, right in front! Got to speak to her for a few minutes at intermission which was very nice. I think maybe she is being a bit modest when she says she is "in the Bass section"... looking through the Orchestra section of the program there are 5 people listed under Bass, and at the top of the list: "Wanda Ortiz, principal". What a talent huh?:worship:

Steph Harris said:
If any of you like classical music and don't already have plans for this Friday evening, you may want to check out South Coast Symphony. I'll be in the bass section. The program is : Russlan and Ludmilla/ Glinka, Little Fugue in G/ Bach, Te Deum/ Bruckner, and Symphony #2 "Little Russian"/ Tchaikovsky. Check out www.southcoastsymphony.org for more info. Hopefully I'll see some of you there. :Spin:

I'd love to see that. Classical music is the greatest.

Well it was certainly an unexpected and pleasant surprise to see a few of you there. I got to speak with CrankYanker for a bit , dunshee sent me an e-mail to let me know he was there, and there were a couple other familiar faces but I didn't get a chance to say "hi". Thanks for coming. It's always fun seeing people who would normally be at a Maidens show there ...and I almost always notice them because they stick out from the rest of the audence (the average person in the audience for the orchestra seems to be 60+ years).:)