"Friday" Rebecca Black Metalcore Remix/Cover

locustreign

Mar 28, 2006
Orange County, CA
[youtube]dq_y7hdLpv0&hd=1[/youtube]

And audio only for your convenience.

I'm sure you (and the rest of the internets) are sick of Rebecca Black by now, but I had a good lesson in DIY vocal extraction in trying my metalcore remix/cover.

The extraction was far from perfect as I've yet to find an accurate "official" instrumental version of the song for phase flipping. I ended up using a center channel extraction method and tried to surgically eq out the kick/snare/and what was left of the cymbals. You'll have to let me know how distracting the bits were that ended up sticking out.

By far I had the most fun working out the gang vocals on the bridge section and overall I was pleased by the tambre (considering it was just myself doing a take a foot away from an omni mic, taking a step, wash, rinse, repeat...).

Any critiques on the arrangement would be helpful. The bridge blastbeat section came as an afterthought but I wanted something that would switch up the feel. I'm glad I used the more driving beat over the Usher 2.0/rap section which gave it a change up from the front seat/back seat conundrum verses.

I'm hoping the bass was loud enough to support the guitars. For this style they are mainly backing up the guitar part and I'm hoping that low end reinforcement came through. Kick/snare/guitar balance was kinda thrown off by the original kick/snare shining through, but let me know what you think about the ratios.

Any other thoughts/critiques greatly welcomed. And please, listen with a good sense of humor!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
And the term black metal has a new meaning...

You know, I only thought of that pun AFTER the track was completed and it totally could have fueled my inspiration in a much different direction. I have to imagine a TRV KVLT black metal enthusiast's preferred day of the week would be Monday, because of all the misery incurred in returning to the standard work/school schedule by the rest of the general populace.