Friend's Band, No drum replacement of any kind, hlep

Chris Lucas

I DON'T BELIEVE IN MAGIC
Dec 4, 2006
www.chrislucasproductions.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22446811/TLD RMix 4.mp3

My friends thrash band wanted to do a demo song to see if we could get it to sound sick, the catch is they want it to sound natural as fuck and not all clicksampletastic like every metal song ever.

He basically told me not to use any drum replacement whatsoever, so I said sure and I went for it.

The drummer isn't the most consistent snare player in the world but it's alright.

How do I improve this?

Holy drum bus compression batman!

The kick compression is tasty but yea, less comp on OHs and snare. I'd say bring down OHs, more verb on toms.

I'm vibing on the guitar sound, everything is nicely tracked and tight too. One thing though: the vocalist, dude. His timing sounds pretty reckless and all over the place, his delivery is pretty uninspiring, although of course sometimes you don't have a say (unless you're the vocalist :p). I'd also possibly verb up the vox slightly and add light delay also.

But listening to it as is, the mix really has some balls and attitude! :D

The singer decides like he can't decide between Tom Arraya and Serj Tankian :p But yeah, something about the vocal recording isn't quite sitting right in the mix. I'm not sure if its the delivery or the recording itself. Maybe a little bit of both. Otherwise I think it sounds great. Good job man!