Frustration with triggers

sikness

New Metal Member
May 16, 2004
I have the DM5 and I use a trigger perfect bass drum trigger. I tried almost every setting on the module and either hits get left out or it double triggers. I use one bass drum and a double pedal. Is that not a good idea? When the bass drums are going slower its fine but when my speed starts to pick up hits get left out.what can I do to make it work? I have tried every other trigger and figured trigger perfect was the best for me. So its not the trigger itself. :hotjump:

You could use mesh heads + put the lower drumhead off to minimize double triggering.
I think it's easier to trigger later. Only for the kick I use a DDrum pad. I always trigger the kick so why not directly? It's much easier to correct the notes without getting in trouble with the overheads.
Thanks.

Dude me and my guitarist got real freaky with the drumset to get the triggers 100%. I don't think you can do it with just one person. First of all, as Andy said, be SURE to capture the midi signal. The audio is irrelevant at this point. Second, if you want to capture the natural audio of the drums as well as the triggers then yes you are fucked. However, just get hella tape and basically deaden the floor tom as it gives the worst cross talk. Other drums might need it too. But what I'm telling you is that unless you totally kill the natural sound of your drums with tape you're gonna get a lot of bad hits. We have one bass drum with a couble kick pedal which makes the whole thing easier. Anyway, just be sure to reduce the trigger sensitivity a lot.

Yes I know this is blasphemy for you analog people, but its the 21st century and if you dont like it then go fuck yourself. I've got incredible drum sounds from two cymbal mics, a snare mic, and all toms and bass drum triggers. Good luck

Genius Gone Insane said:
Second, if you want to capture the natural audio of the drums as well as the triggers then yes you are fucked.

Yes I know this is blasphemy for you analog people, but its the 21st century and if you dont like it then go fuck yourself. I've got incredible drum sounds from two cymbal mics, a snare mic, and all toms and bass drum triggers. Good luck

If you're sending midi you can easily edit it to match the acoustic hits. I've also had good luck sending the trigger straight to tape and then using strip silence in protools to eliminate the garbage and just leave the area around the transients. I also trigger straight from my mic tracks using drumamgog with few problems unless the drummer is dynamically wild, at which point I can usually go section by section or just paste clean hits over the misfires.
I have no doubt that you have gotten excellent sounds using the described setup, but let's not pretend that it's impossible to trigger and mic a natural kit....I do both on nearly every session as do a lot of the other guys in this forum with great success.

Ok.... try a little toilet paper with metal/aluminium tape on top beneath the trigger...gets rid if double-trigging once an for all.. I use mics too, works freakin' good!

mmmmmkay? Triggering to midi is really cool if you have tight midi timing in you app...I like to edit in a midi editor...

Andy Sneap said:
it's never 100% perfect, but you should definately be able to get close. Are you triggering midi signal also into sequencer or just audio?

I am taking the sound from the module and recording it as audio onto a track in Pro Tools LE.

Also I dont care about the live sound of the drum. I'll do what ever I have to do to it, if that means filling the bass drum with concrete! I want the triggered sound.

blackcom said:
Ok.... try a little toilet paper with metal/aluminium tape on top beneath the trigger...gets rid if double-trigging once an for all..QUOTE]

thanks! i'll definitely try that out, but with the standard triggers i've got, man it's literally impossible to get the natural floor tom sound without triggering the bass drum, no matter where I put it.

Kevin Kitchel said:
Buy a kick drum pad then damnit!
Kevin makes a good point which is if you don't want an acoustic kit sound then you can save yourself some serious time and headaches by using an electric kit. Why not spend $600 on a pad kit and just use real cymbals if the acoustic sound and response is just a nusance to you?

egan. said:
Kevin makes a good point which is if you don't want an acoustic kit sound then you can save yourself some serious time and headaches by using an electric kit. Why not spend $600 on a pad kit and just use real cymbals if the acoustic sound and response is just a nusance to you?

That has certainly crossed my mind but I still think I must be doing something wrong or maybe I expect too much. The acoustic set up is not even close to acceptable when I know it should work. Here are some questions I have:

1. Should the bass drum head be looser or tighter?
2. How hard does the sensor part of the trigger have to be pressed against the head?
3. Should I mount the trigger on any particular place on the drum? ( like down towards the pedal, higher up, etc.)
4. What kind of beaters would be best to use?

Thats all I can think of right now. I thank you all for your suggestions BTW!

Andy Sneap said:
Post your settings from the DM5, lets see how you have it set with X talk etc

the gain is set to 99, velocity curve 7, Xtalk 95, decay 10, noise 70, and the sensitivity on the trigger is almost all the way up.

Those are pretty wierd settings. I'd say: throw that PerfectTrigger trigger out the window and get a DDrum trigger! I remember a friend of mine batteling against those yellow things some while ago...

blackcom said:
Those are pretty wierd settings. I'd say: throw that PerfectTrigger trigger out the window and get a DDrum trigger! I remember a friend of mine batteling against those yellow things some while ago...

I have tried the DDrum triggers and they are no better or worse than the Trigger Perfect in my opinion. How are these settings wierd?

I am no expert but the decay seems to be set low. Altho I am used to triggering from a recorded track not straight from a trigger.
Also you may want to adjust the gain, have u read the manual? It tells you how to adjust everything properly.

Just a thought