Triggers

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Hi Guys--
These triggers are driving me crazy!!!
We triggered our drummer's kick and snare when recording last week, using DDrum triggers. I recorded the actual output of the triggers like Andy does to use with apTrigga, and the snare works fine (mixed under the original), but the kick trigger is giving me fits. No matter what, it misses hits and comes out SUPER uneven. I'm sure most every drummer's left and right foot techniques are slightly uneven, but our drummer has great technique and the hits sound even in the room. We've tried tightening the head, moving the trigger, messing with the double pedal, everything, and I don't know what else to do. Single strokes work fine, and slower/moderately fast, steady double bass patterns come out perfectly even and clean, but really fast sections are a huge mess of mistriggers and incredibly uneven hits. Again, I haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe it's his technique. It's just too extreme.

Not only that, but this makes it nearly impossible to set apTrigga correctly! It either ends up missing hits, or triggering like 2 or 3 times for a single hit. I'm sure it would be easier to set right if the trigger had recorded better, but I certainly can't find the right setting so far.

The only thing I know to do at this point is to compress the living piss out of the kick trigger and insert apTrigga after that. I'll try that this afternoon, but do you guys have any other tips? Any photos of your kick trigger placement?
HELP!!! :yuk:

Thanks,

hi matt,
what recording software do you use?i'm asking because you have finished the recording with shitty triggernotes,right? - and you don't want to record again,right? i'd like to trigger bd and snare, too - but i don't have any triggers! so i use the option in logic "convert audio to midi" - and then i have some nice notes for using a sampler. but it doesn't work fine in fast doublebass parts - i get crazy notes, doublehits and so on. that is because i have to work with the settings for converting for the hole song - and double bass parts are a lot quieter and don't have these rich attack waves like singlekicks. so i must select all parts seperately that are really different to the rest of the song - select them, change some parameters and everything works fine -it just takes some time!

maybe this can help you saving your recorded material - i'm sure the option"converting audio to midi" is not exclusive for logic!

bye
alex

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm using Nuendo. It wasn't a huge disaster, because it was just for a Christmas song we recorded and it can still be redone. In fact, we've tried to redo it several times and we always get the same result.

Thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions.

I´m also having problems with triggering.
I´m trying to substitute the kick and the snare. I don´t have a "hardware" trigger so i´m using aptrigga2 in a nuendo 2.0 track or using ktdrumtrigger to convert the audio into midi and then using the drumkit from hell 2. I´m trying both......Damn...i am not pleased with the results. Alexrookie sure pointed out an important issue: with ktdrumtrigger one can convert the fast double bass parts using a differetn setting. I will try that and see ehat happens.