Fry scream question!

mno555

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2013
Hey!

Been doing some screaming for the past 3-4 months and recently decided to only go with fry screaming since it seems like a much better technique for my throat.

Since I don't like the ordinary, kinda boring sound from the usual fry scream and my favorite singer right now is Sam Carter from Architects I was kinda trying to go for that sound which led me to "move down" the scream from the nasal region where people say it should come from to somewhere above my larynx(pretty exactly from where it is when it moves up when I scream) which gives it more of my speaking voice in it.

When I scream I kinda open the throat like when you yawn and I push with my diaphragm(ofcourse).

Is this technique bad for my vocal cords in any way? I haven't noticed any pain so far, just a slight "scratchyness" after doing it for like 10-15 songs which goes away after about an hour.

It's not bad if it doesn't hurt (much).
I've been growling and grunting for over 4 years now and it doesn't hurt at all, but it's different for different people (i guess).

( If you are smoker, test this out:
Inhale the smoke and growl/grunt/scream it out. If it hurts try to growl different way. For me, it doesn't hurt at all. )