How can I remove this damn subtone in my screaming voice?

Jun 23, 2004
Hi, I have a short question, about a problem which really goes on my nerves:

Evertime I sing to DeathMetal, with high screams like Children of Bodom or newer In Flames, I have a few subtones in my voice which really get on my nerves.
You should use much air, which comes from your diaphragm, yes? But then my voice sounds really "windy", as if I would use really much or nearly only air and it's kinda scratchy. I think I use "vocal fry" in falsetto.
And I can't scream, when I use less air, because then my voice totally throaty.

any ideas?

And if they are, you can remove the frequency with a mastering program. You do have to use quite a lot of air for vocal fry, and it's easier in that upper octave. I think the I know the subtone your talking about as well. In my opinion it makes the growls more human, and adds some life to it.

I think most screamers have them, have you heard In Flames' "the tokyo showdown"? Anders has a lot of subtones in his voice. Either learn to utilise them and add to your screaming or take the mids and bass down on the PA so you can barely hear them.

I have them, but not that many, I try to use them to thicken my voice when I scream rather than get rid of them. The CoB style screaming is all done in the lungs, throat and head, pushing from the diaphragm, although more tiring, is usually a lot more powerful and often gets rid of subtones. Just experiment with where your voice is coming from, if you get what I mean. Making different vowel shapes with your mouth will also affect subtones, a really piercing blackmetal style "Eee" shape is the cleanest, highest and has least subtones on my voice.

The vocalist in Norther has some of the best use of subtones I've heard, especially on the track "betrayed" , towards the end.

Okay thanks.

One more question about the singer of children of bodom:
I think, he doesn't use vocal fry, does he? At least, i can't hear that he uses much air... But how does he scream, then?

I'm not exactly clear on what vocal fry is, but I think Alexi does his screams mainly from the throat, he doesn't use the diaphragm much. I don't think Alexi is actually that good a vocalist to be honest, his screams can be a little thin and whiney sounding.

Yes, anders basically screams from his chest and throat as well. Pretty much how I think you do it- in a bit of falsetto.

why do you think I sing from my throat and chest? did you hear to my recordings in the other thread?

and when do I know when I sing from my diaphragm, because I really thought I did....