FS: Event Opals

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan

I still have the boxes and have only used these on like two projects mixing. They just sat at my house for the longest time not even being used. I find i can mix better on my ns10's and no reason to keep these around collecting dust. They are still under warranty from Sweetwater and not one scratch or anything on these.

Woah, never thought I'd see this in my life.

I could not get a good mix on them for the life of me. For some reason i switched back to my ns10's and remixed the same song i did on the opals and it was night and day. I'm sure if i gave them more time and really worked at it I could make them work. I just see no reason to fight it and just figured i could use the cash on something else like some api or something.

i can only recommend getting a backup pair (at least one of them).
i had to get mine repaired, couldnt mix for an entire month, cause they were super slow,
also couldnt find the problem, so they sent me a new pair...

joshua, would you sell a single opal?

Yea i just spent the day rewiring my whole setup and i put the Opals back into play. I'm going to try and get these broke in a bit and see if i like them any better. One thing i did miss was the clear tight bottom end these opals have. I need to try this studio eq package as well.

I still might sell but not 100% sure right now.

Sit with them dude. I can't imagine a bigger regretted sale than losing a set of Opals.

Try to forget everything about working with NS-10s when you're on them. Think of them more as hi-fi speakers... you're not working around any speaker deficiencies in order to make the mix more pleasant, you're literally just trying to make it sound as awesome as possible right then and there.

Try to forget everything about working with NS-10s when you're on them. Think of them more as hi-fi speakers... you're not working around any speaker deficiencies in order to make the mix more pleasant, you're literally just trying to make it sound as awesome as possible right then and there.

Agreed, this is a good way to describe it.

Ermin, out of curiosity, what are you running the EQs at? Mine are as follows... Level: 0, Space: 1/2, Q: 6, Freq: 250 (approx), Depth: 3, LF Shelf: +0.75, HF Shelf: -1.5

With the highs flat it just seems slightly too bright for my taste, not harsh at all, but just a tad excessive I guess. The biggest thing I need in my room though is that wide dip centered around 250 Hz, because without it, I feel like vocals are too wooly. The dip totally solves it for me, and now I don't have to compensate for anything, I just make the vocals sound exciting and they're dialed!

I only run the 1/2 space setting on mine to tame the terrible low-end response in this room. No other EQ.

The high-end was really bright and grating just after I had my ears cleaned at the GP's. A few days later, I think as the natural layer of wax built up again they became tolerable. They were ridiculously bright for that period though.

One thing I like about the Opals is that their brightness is in the 'air' frequencies, not the 'presence' frequencies like the Twin 6s and some other monitors. Makes them much easier to listen to for prolonged periods.