recommend me new monitors in the 3K area - EVENT OPALS?

ERMZ : amazing. this mix is one of the best mixes i have heard here.

i'm gonna get the opals on friday, will test them and see if its worth the money, or if ill have to treat the room.

again, i dont think that my room is that bad, but i will keep that in mind and tell you, if there is a huge difference between both monitors
in the same place here.

cant wait!

yamaha hs 80 - maybe cloudy is not the right word, its actually ok sounding on the high end,
but it somehow makes my mixes a little to 3 khz... a little to harsh.

but :if the opals do not do, what they are supposed to do
then i will return them and treat my room - i know the guys from the store,
so that want be a problem.

i promise :)

ill keep you updated, thanks for helping!

i know i'm gonna sound like a dick, but this is quite possibly one of the stupidest buying decisions i've ever heard

i can guarantee that if you spent 1/2 the money on treatment that you're planning to spend on those monitors, your mixes will improve dramatically. on top of this, i can also guarantee that you still won't be satisfied with the results of an untreated room, regardless of what monitors you get.

did you ever think that maybe it's the nasty reflections from the walls around you that are creating the perception of harshness??

http://www.realtraps.com/video_hearing.htm

Danny, listen to the video. It is NO joke that treatment should be one of your first options. Guess what guys? I MIX ON HEADPHONES. My room is not suited for monitors and I know my cans well. I A/B with pro mixes and go back and forth to my car. That's how I roll. I'm aware that you're in a bigger league. Treat your room and then get new monitors.

Totally, you're not going to be doing the Opals any justice in an untreated room. In all honesty you're probably not doing the HS80s any justice in one. Forking out so much on monitors with no treatment is entirely self defeating.

It's like those 'audiophiles' who spend $100k on a hi-fi system and when you ask how they treated their room they just come back at you with a 'wtf?'.

Don't get me wrong, the Opals are quite possibly some of the best nearfield monitors in existence, but do not let your consumer greed get the better of you. If you have the 'need' to buy something just for the sake of buying something, at least invest in some of those Gik panels now that they are available in Europe.

guys, thanks for sticking with me :)

now everyone thinks of me as an 18 year old kid, sitting in his 2*3m box wanting to sound like joeymusicguy and asks:
how do opalzzz? :)

naaaah! -
of course my goal is to get me the best listening/working envoirenment possible - and i have of course
considered treating the room - btw. i study musicology and have learned a lot about acoustics (though it might not seem so LOL)

i will talk to the studio guys at my local store asking for help on room treatment BEFORE i get new monitors :)
but i will try them out in the shop and also a/b them with the yamahas.

but i think everyone here is right - i should at first eliminate as much of the room influences as i can!

ERMZ : i will ask for those Gik panels. - are you using them at the moment?

about my room :
my room is shaped very uncommon, it has no parallel walls , looks like a pyramid.
5*4 meters and 3 meters high (very uncommon) my room is built inside of the roof (thats why its a pyramid).

thanks guys !

now everyone thinks of me as an 18 year old kid, sitting in his 2*3m box wanting to sound like joeymusicguy and asks:
how do opalzzz? :)

FWIW, i also think it's kind of retarded that joey hasn't invested more in treating his mixing space...

I'm not using the GIK panels. Commercial acoustic treatment products here in Oz are unfeasible. The decent ones need to be imported and cost absurd amounts, and the only available solutions are foam based, or mega obscure and hard to get a hold of. DIY was the only way. My room is filled nearly up to the top with insulation and panels we designed and built ourselves.

I can certainly recommend GIK panels to you. I have quite a large room, maybe 4.5mx4.5mx2.2m, with 4 traps and 6 diffusors and they've made a huge difference. This is just the first step of course but they've really helped my mixes a lot. I really couldn't say if there's a huge difference between GIK and any DIY option, but the GIK panels have their own unique absorption material in them and I guess that's what makes them a really good option.

They have a factory in the UK so I doubt shipping will be horrendous. Their customer support is also really good, I sent them pictures of my room and they told me everything I needed and where it had to go. Good luck with it all dude!

Yeah, Glenn from GIK has always been helpful to me on GS as well. While their panels are impractical here, they should be a viable option in Germany. Other than that you can always get the tools out and start DYIng.

http://www.realtraps.com/video_hearing.htm

Danny, listen to the video. It is NO joke that treatment should be one of your first options. Guess what guys? I MIX ON HEADPHONES. My room is not suited for monitors and I know my cans well. I A/B with pro mixes and go back and forth to my car. That's how I roll. I'm aware that you're in a bigger league. Treat your room and then get new monitors.

Thanks Greg- This has Eric Johnson's "Trademark" tune on it, so I know that one like the back of my hand.

I've never really had the urge to treat my room, as for me its just a project studio and also I have so much stuff in my room is pretty much dead. Maybe oneday though.

I just can't see how it makes sense mixing on phones. This room is crap and the only way I can fit in it is with the listening point off to one side. When I get a real room, I'll treat it to death and superchunk. I will also get Opals =)

I just can't see how it makes sense mixing on phones. This room is crap and the only way I can fit in it is with the listening point off to one side. When I get a real room, I'll treat it to death and superchunk. I will also get Opals =)

hehe, greg, thanks vor the video! very interesting to see / hear.
although the video is not really "fair" - we all know the sound and decay times of rooms we moved in.. no furniture, no carpets - long long decay times.

my mixing room certainly has way less rt60 than those examples,
but anyways, they are only trying to show the drastic differences,
and thats of course pretty exciting !

gonna try the opals tomorrow! AND i will meet mr petrucci :)
hes giving a workshop in the same building ->

opals AND petrucci in one house ! :headbang: