FS/FT Krank Rev1

You shouldn't have to fight an amp to get it to sound good. I always thought rectifiers were the most overratted pieces of shit (even Nordstrom agrees) until I heard what you were getting out of your 2 channel at home Marcus. I told you it was a convincing factor that I should take a risk. I was at Guitar Center yesterday, where I was demoing the three channel dual. It is not the same caliber as the two channel. ON that note, I want to grab a Stilletto Deuce, I played one and loved the top end and bottom on it.

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it! (just wait until I can get a Recto cab to really let her loose! :D) And while Nordstrom may not like the Recto, Bogren doesn't like the 5150 (and swears by Rectifiers), and I know whose guitar tones I VAAAASSSSTTTTTLLLYYYY prefer :heh:

Well you can also read that the 2 channel "BS" is true ;) I haven't played a 3-channel yet, but I've heard from sources I trust who have played both that the 3-channels sound just a bit more "processed" sounding, but still fucking awesome (James/TheShred has posted some great clips of his, and I dig the tone on Misery Signals' "Controller," though it does have that semi-processed sound). My friend down the road has a 3-channel Dual; I'm gonna see if I can borrow his to settle this once and for all!

And on the 3-channels, the Red and Orange channels are identical except that the red has a REALLY aggressive presence knob, so perhaps Greg you just had it dialed in too high! (this info is all from the manual, which also advises keeping the pres. knob below 10 o'clock on the red, and you can even call Mesa and they'll send you an Orange channel presence knob to replace it with, giving you two identical channels!)

i heard that the orange channel on the 3 channel amps sounds just like the red channel on the 2 channel amps of old

i heard that the orange channel on the 3 channel amps sounds just like the red channel on the 2 channel amps of old

Yup, this I have heard as well! But in case you missed it (understandably, in this freakin' firestorm of posting :D), the orange and red channels on the 3-channel models are just a presence knob removed from one another!

Firstly nobody said avoid the red channel its common knowledge you need to turn the presence down to 9 o'clock or below, you would know that if you had spent a fair bit of time with one.

Nah, with the new ones, the trick apparently is just avoiding the red channel like the plague and sticking with the orange, and I've heard plenty of awesome clips that support this!

I believe someone DID say avoid the red channel. :Smug:

Anyhows, I heard that BS about the presence knob. Why make a knob that only sounds good low? Why would you want your amp to sound like white noise? I sat with the amp for an hour. I was not WOO'ed by this legendary revision of "one of the best metal amps of all time." If you talk to just about anyone, they'll tell you to get a two channel dual.

a. Because the circuit board on the two channel is much less cramped, you get a better quality of tone. Think of it like a highway with more lanes; Traffic flows more smoothly.

b. Last time I checked, the output trannys are different, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have all "Mesa Tubes" (what comes STOCK in the Rectifiers), so don't tell me that is the difference of why mine sounds better.

NOW, lets stop hijacking Bloodjinn's thread, cause I want his KranK! :headbang:

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it! (just wait until I can get a Recto cab to really let her loose! :D) And while Nordstrom may not like the Recto, Bogren doesn't like the 5150 (and swears by Rectifiers), and I know whose guitar tones I VAAAASSSSTTTTTLLLYYYY prefer :heh:

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is Andy's forum, and if you want proof that the Two Channel Dual's and the 5150 is beastly, listen to Devildrivers TLKW. If you don't think the guitar tone on that album is good, you need to see an otologist.

Firstly nobody said avoid the red channel its common knowledge you need to turn the presence down to 9 o'clock or below, you would know that if you had spent a fair bit of time with one. QUOTE]

I believe someone DID say avoid the red channel. :Smug:

Anyhows, I heard that BS about the presence knob. Why make a knob that only sounds good low? Why would you want your amp to sound like white noise? I sat with the amp for an hour. I was not WOO'ed by this legendary revision of "one of the best metal amps of all time." If you talk to just about anyone, they'll tell you to get a two channel dual.

a. Because the circuit board on the two channel is much less cramped, you get a better quality of tone. Think of it like a highway with more lanes; Traffic flows more smoothly.

b. Last time I checked, the output trannys are different, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have all "Mesa Tubes" (what comes STOCK in the Rectifiers), so don't tell me that is the difference of why mine sounds better.

NOW, lets stop hijacking Bloodjinn's thread, cause I want his KranK! :headbang:

Red channel sounds better for leads actually, anyway if you confused why a knob sounds good low consult a 5150's gain knob thankyou very much.

Oh and you played with it for a FULL hour? Ive had mine a year so I think I know what im talking about.

Why would you want your amp to sound like white noise?

Never heard of a ENGL Powerball then?

If you want to buy his Krank go ahead and stop moaning about 3 channel's sucking.

Never heard of a ENGL Powerball then?

:heh: Can we agree that this amp is the shitstorm of all amplifiers? Most overrated piece of GABAGE (r missing intentionally) ever.

P.S. The tone on this clip is very nice, I won't argue with results.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...s/463133-black-stymphalian-back-teaser-2.html

I'll put my 5150's lead channel on gain anywhere from 4 to 10 and it will sound good? Want proof? (Warning feedback may be involved in this test).

I don't like the Powerball no, is that what we agree on?

The bit about the proof I don't understand, it will sound good. Im mearly saying a knob which is set low isnt always bad, its the sound thats what matters. If it sounds good, do it, right?

I don't like the Powerball no, is that what we agree on?

Yes.

The bit about the proof I don't understand, it will sound good. Im mearly saying a knob which is set low isnt always bad, its the sound thats what matters. If it sounds good, do it, right?

Do whatever it takes to get your recording sounding as good as possible (unless people are getting hurt, and that depends on who :saint:). I told you, if that was the orange channel on your Dual, it sounds very good. No arguement. Would you rather me say "the red channel on the 3-channel Duals isn't great at all unless you keep the presence real low, and use the orange channel for rhythm?"

I just don't understand why Mesa/Boogie would have a convoluted knob on their amp, why not limit the range of the knobs functionality and have it as a more incremental sweep instead of good...good...BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

It dosen't go bad if you crank it but for our tastes you wouldn't want it very high, crank it further for leads but not for rhyhms. Hey I don't work for them I didn't make/design the amp, I was only responding to the "suck" comment after all is said and done dude.

I just don't understand why Mesa/Boogie would have a convoluted knob on their amp, why not limit the range of the knobs functionality and have it as a more incremental sweep instead of good...good...BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Yeah, I'll second that, seems a pretty stupid choice on their part - and when I said avoid the red channel, I just meant so you don't think the only sound the amp can do is that buzzy harshness that's so prominent with it (unless you almost totally drop the pres knob, as mentioned). And I'm actually not overly fond of the TLKW tone, but I know the 5150 can do great stuff; however, it's just too smooth/fizzy for me, not enough bark, but that's speaking strictly about its character by itself; in a mix it definitely delivers the good! (but I think Rectifiers are better, and all my absolute fav tones have been Rectos)

And Kyle, yes, we hijacked your thread, but at least it's getting plenty of attention! :D And I farkin' love the tone of Kranks, so someone buy/trade this thing before Kyle comes to his senses! :heh:

Ok so is there a consensus that the 3channels can be made to sound like the 2's?

Ps: someone in depth and lengthy post a comparison of the single, dual, triple, and revolutions :)

Ok so is there a consensus that the 3channels can be made to sound like the 2's?

Eh, that I'm not willing to say for certain until I try them both next to each other, but I definitely will say the 3-channels can be made to sound pretty f'in good! :)