FS: Peavey 6505+ Head, Lexicon MPX G2, more...

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
UPDATE (February 1st): I've sold the 6505+ Head. The other gear is still available. I've set up eBay auctions for a couple of the larger items:

Lexicon MPX G2 / R1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250079718176&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015

ATA Case:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250079719037&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015

--------------------------------------

I'm selling my old live rig. All prices are US Dollars (excluding shipping), I'm in California (93117 zip.)

All items are in excellent condition.
  • Peavey 6505+ Head (stock Ruby power and Electro-Harmonix preamp tubes, 20~30 hours use) - $700
  • Lexicon MPX G2 rack with R1 foot controller and 1.1 firmware upgrade - $1200
  • ISP Decimator Pro Rack G - $300
  • Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 wah - $80
  • Ernie Ball Volume Pedal - $50
  • Ridiculously reinforced custom far-beyond-ATA specs flight case, nicknamed "The Stone Of Narnia," (which survived Pressure 4-5's OzzFest 2001 tour, and a few BACKMASK club dates.) It's made to hold two Mesa Dual Rec heads and 4 pieces of rack gear; has very large, smooth casters and handles on all sides. Pick-up only in Santa Barbara, CA - $300
  • (Pictures of all this stuff coming soon!)
Reply if you're interested, I'm giving you guys first crack at this rather than eBay. Selling this stuff only b/c I'm sick of hassling with a complex tube-based rig live, millions of cables, and of course, "The Stone Of Narnia."

I'm switching to Line 6 HD 147 instead and I'm loving it! Rest assured, I'm still holding on to my other 6505+ head that I recorded the album with. :cool:

Why do you sell the 6505+?? For the last year you was a "Tubes is the way" guy..and now you buy a HD147?
However, the line6 heads have a fake and shitty sound, expecially live...my 2 cent

Why do you sell the 6505+?? For the last year you was a "Tubes is the way" guy..and now you buy a HD147?
However, the line6 heads have a fake and shitty sound, expecially live...my 2 cent

:lol: HAHAHAHA

Exactly the reply I was expecting to hear from somebody around here, thanks for getting that out of the way early on.

I think I explain the switch pretty well in my first post, plus I still have an extra 6505+ head in my home studio! I love the convenience of hooking up my rig now - guitar into amp. That's it!

Also, BACKMASK plays to a click live, using a PowerBook running Digital Performer, and we use wireless in-ear monitors. Having MIDI on my Line 6 amp means that all my tone switching can be done for me by the laptop, at the appropriate beats in the song, and I can have my delay sync up perfectly with the tempo maps! This way, I don't have to bother hitting pedals on the FBV Express board I got with it if I don't want to, other than volume, wah and the handy built in tuner!

Also, the HD 147 has two XLR outs, so I can send one to the in-ears and one to the house, in addition to having my Line 6 4x12 cab on stage.

When you consider all of these factors, Line 6 makes sense. I'm loving the distorted rhythm tone I'm getting, it rivals the tone I got out of the 6505+, plus I have infinitely more tones up my sleeve. The Lexicon rack helped me get more versatility out of the 6505+, but the routing was complex as was patch editing and programming.

Also consider that I sing and play lead and rhythm guitar. And that we have a lot of things to set up live and no roadies. In 2006, we had a lot of gear setup fuck-ups and compromises (largely due to my rig), and other bands made fun of us for taking forever to set up and tear down, which created a very hostile environment. It was making me afraid to gig, which is obviously a very stupid headspace to be in.

At the end of the day, it's all about using the best tool for the job. I think my HD 147 sounds just as good as my 6505+, just in a different way. But even if I felt that it sounded only 80% as good (a % that Andy even agrees with), I would have still made this decision. It's worth a small sacrifice in tone for the convenience of ultra-fast setup and infinite tonal versatility live. What's nice is, I don't feel I've sacrified anything, and I've gained a lot.

I started off with a Line 6 Flextone II back in 2001, then discovered tube amps, found my sound, and here I am back with Line 6 again and I couldn't be happier. Sure, in a recorded session my tube stuff may win the tone battle, but I've still got a tube rig for recording with.

Hey Kaz -
I'm guessing the XLR outs to the board ends up sounding basically like a PodXT, no?

Looks like a pretty cool head, though ...all 300watts of it!

I used a Line 6 HD147 for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. I got my 147 the week they were released back in 2003 and loved every minute of it. I ended up selling it a little over a year ago and bought a 6505+, ironically enough. I loved the 147, but I had never owned a tube amp, so I sold it to get a new rig. For me, I think I prefer my 6505+, but there are definitely times I miss the 147. I wish I could have kept both. I could get monstrous tones out of the 147 for sure.

Both guitarists in Paradise Lost are using HD147's live as per the gig I saw last year with Opeth. They have to do a lot of tone switching themselves and also play to click so it makes sense for them too....

I say go with whatever makes you feel comfortable onstage. No point having a great sounding rig if you're not in the right headspace when gigging worried about your shit. If you A/B'ed both rigs from the FOH perspective you'd probably find that 80%/100% trade-off is even smaller when you factor in the variables of venue, engineer and alcohol-infused audience.

If you A/B'ed both rigs from the FOH perspective you'd probably find that 80%/100% trade-off is even smaller when you factor in the variables of venue, engineer and alcohol-infused audience.

And the idiot who accidentally kick away the microphone from the cab, and the 15 minute soundcheck, and.... I'd say that the "real" amp sound about as good as the presets in any PODxt in a live situation. :heh:

I can't believe you found dudes that can do that.

Thanks for the compliment. I think we have an incredible line-up. It really is nice to know that each member of the band can hold their own and not lose track of time. As to playing to a click goes, all of us have had some form of classical training or other (jazz bands, music major, drumlines, etc.) so it has made things easier. It also makes recording a whole lot of fun (we tease each other for being off by 32nd notes!!)

:p

Thanks for the compliment. I think we have an incredible line-up. It really is nice to know that each member of the band can hold their own and not lose track of time. As to playing to a click goes, all of us have had some form of classical training or other (jazz bands, music major, drumlines, etc.) so it has made things easier. It also makes recording a whole lot of fun (we tease each other for being off by 32nd notes!!)

:p

oh the parties you must have
:p :p :p
only kidding
we play to click live as well. playing without it now is horrible

dam now i wanna play to a click live:cry:

Well how do you really go about this just give the drummer an in-ear with click and he is the man. Or do you all get in-ears and have click going?

Well how do you really go about this just give the drummer an in-ear with click and he is the man. Or do you all get in-ears and have click going?

Right now the drummer, Shane and myself have in-ears. The second guitarist is in the process of saving money for his own set. He is probably also going to upgrade to the HD147 that Shane just got, then all three of us will be direct into the monitors and board. (cue choral chant "Ahhh") :headbang:

Er, if you still have it when next I get paid in like, 3 weeks.... lol, I could be interested... hahah.

J

what do you guys run your click from like a laptop and a litlle mixer or something??

Also do you ever lose your in-ear when you start headbanging and geting crazy?? My ear plugs will fly out sometimes when i get crazy that is why i ask.