Fucking EMG, recommend me a 7 string pickup

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
Well my EMG 81-7 came today, and guess what, it doesn't fucking fit, not at all. And I really don't want to start using a hammer and chisel on my new guitar, so I'm sending it back tomorrow :mad:

I had no idea it would be like that, I was expecting just to do a straight swap, but anyway, would I have the same problem with one of these http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts_7stri/

I can't afford to have my pups installed by a pro at a guitar shop, so I have to do do everything at home, thats why I need one that will actually fit.

And if a Blackout will also give me trouble, what other pup model would you recommend for around £90?

Also, my guitar is a Schecter Omen 7 Extreme

...You really didn't realize you'd have to route for an 81-7 or 707? That's always always always been the case with those.

You can get passive-sized Blackouts, but your tone will suck ass unfortunately. I'd route it out, tbh.

^ what he said

Just go and get like a blank piece of weed and practice on that so you dont have to worry about fucking up the guitar.

Forgive me for sounding like a dick, but you seriously didn't know you can't just drop an EMG-7 into any guitar that isn't already routed for it? They put this disclaimer all over the place. It's obvious as well, if you look at any 7 with passives and one with actives they are different (unless it has EMG passives, then it's the same).
SD Blackouts come in that same housing and ones that fit normally routed guitars as well. Thats about the only 1up they have on EMG. I still don't think they are as good sounding, but you can drop them in just about anything.

[edit] I see I was beat to the punch...

...You really didn't realize you'd have to route for an 81-7 or 707? That's always always always been the case with those.

You can get passive-sized Blackouts, but your tone will suck ass unfortunately. I'd route it out, tbh.

I didn't even think about it :confused: I was fucking stupid not to.

I own a Schecter that had "Duncan Designed" Pickups equiped (bunch of crap!) I ordered the SEYMOUR DUNCAN SH7-5 BLK and hat the Problem too, that those are bigger.
It was a very weird feeling to cut some wood by using a broach, but it was the best, I could do. I always hated the sound of my Schecter and was about to send my AxeFX back, because it sounded ugly as hell. After I changed the pickups, it's: Guitar->(AxeFX:808->Diezel VH4->Cab)->Interface and little Uija is happy!

I have an RG8527 and I had to route for active blackouts. But tbh, you should have picked the blackouts in the first place :p. Just route dude, it's your own guitar not anybody elses, fuck the resale value!

I have a Schecter Omen 7 Extreme as well .. I have mounted a 707 and I think it's one of the stupidest thing I have ever done to a guitar.
there was no "mounting plate" with height adjustment included so I can't "fine tune" the height to balance the lows/highs etc..
The stock pickups ain't that bad compared to the trouble you have to go through to fit this thing, and you might not even like the sound :p

there was no "mounting plate" with height adjustment included so I can't "fine tune" the height to balance the lows/highs etc..
You mean pickup mounting rings? If so, you don't absolutely need them, plenty of guitars out there with direct mounting of pickups that you can adjust height with. I'm kinda confused what you mean by this.

Plus, there is always this stuff:
http://www.fretsonthenet.com/other_parts.htm
You can get pickup rings, even if you do have direct mounted EMG's with the bass housing. Good for if you have to 'route' your own holes and do a shitty job...cover up your mistakes.

I also needed to work on the guitar to make the EMG81-TW & EMG89 fit in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but it wasnt that much of a problem...
didnt feel great to be so rude to my baby, but in the end it was worth it :D
those fucking pickups are huge.