fuggin ddrum triggers

brianhood

No Care Ever
i have like 5 or 6 broken ddrum tom triggers and a broken kick trigger.

One i purchased from guitar center crapped out the next day after 2 songs of drum tracking. The most common thing is the wires coming out of the foam thing.

Anyone know where i can get more of the little sensor things to glue and soder onto the perfectly good metal trigger casings? I'm sick of dishing out $60 every time one of these crap out(which is often), and i can't use the stupid roland triggers due to the output being WAY too high to work with

check the radioshack website. i think they're just piezo things or something? i'm kinda talking out my ass here, just guessing. I think i read something a long time ago about some dude that made his own triggers with radioshack shit. not sure.

i have like 5 or 6 broken ddrum tom triggers and a broken kick trigger.

One i purchased from guitar center crapped out the next day after 2 songs of drum tracking. The most common thing is the wires coming out of the foam thing.

Anyone know where i can get more of the little sensor things to glue and soder onto the perfectly good metal trigger casings? I'm sick of dishing out $60 every time one of these crap out(which is often), and i can't use the stupid roland triggers due to the output being WAY too high to work with

Try some regular Piezo elements from your local electronics store. They cost like $1. If you can mount them correctly, they'll work.

they are the biggest peices of shit aren't they? I break them all the time.

Luckily I've been able to re-solder mine every time so far - let me know if you come up with a better solution.

I've had ddrum triggers since around -96 and they've worked wonderfully. I've recently had to replace some of the piezo elements though and that's when I've gotten problems (as well as with a couple of new ddrum mics I bought recently). So clearly the new piezos are of lesser quality.

Here in Europe you can get replacements from Thomann for 10 euros so it should be available somewhere in USA as well. A pain in the ass to solder them to the connector though, very annoying angle on the hot pin.

BTW, might point out the biggest problem I've actually had with them: the connector can become a bit loose and cause rattle on the drums. It was driving me nuts until I found the source of the problem. Can be fixed with a hammer, a screwdriver and some violence, hehe.

Is it possible to put one of those $1 piezo elements in a DDrum trigger housing? That'd kinda be a best-of-both-worlds solution (and we're talking DDrum pros here, right?)

Yeah, drummers definitely get epically shafted when it comes to purchasing and maintaining their instruments of choice - and as for those trigger sets, your drummer bought the DDrum Pros? Or Red Shots? (the cheaper, shittier variety)

joey sturgis says, buy roland triggers, they dont break.
they aren't "too loud" in my experience.

which ones did you buy? I purchased these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RT10T/

I've already made a thread about it, but the damn things clip, even with a 20db pad and the mic pre turned ALL THE WAY DOWN. I dont really get it....

are you using xlr to 1/4" or something? I was using instrument and speaker cables(tried both, same result)

100$ each :ill:

no care, ever. As long as they work and dont break

Dude it gets better. The very day he bought his latest ddrum kit, we got all the shit into his car, got in it and found the battery had died. He has no earthly clue how to save money, he didnt even have enough to buy a new battery so he had to take some of the drum shit he had bought back. Dude I was cackling like a motherfucker the whole time walking with him! :lol: the dude is a trip...in fact here he is yapping like a doofus before we play:

Haha, I can relate, definitely had to pay for quite a few things with change in my day :D

which ones did you buy? I purchased these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RT10T/

I've already made a thread about it, but the damn things clip, even with a 20db pad and the mic pre turned ALL THE WAY DOWN. I dont really get it....

are you using xlr to 1/4" or something? I was using instrument and speaker cables(tried both, same result)

no care, ever. As long as they work and dont break

yeah those are the ones, and
you can't use an instrument cable

that must have been your problem

its an xlr jack so you need male TRS to XLR (the one with the pins)