Full Sail?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Hey guys.

Anyone here attend Full Sail for what they do?

I'm seriously considering going to school for this, is it is what I love to do.....I just wish I would have figured this out 10 years ago.

Anyway, a few people have told me not to waste my money on school, and to just learn yourself and try to get a free/paid internship at a local studio. Problem is, there aren't many local studios, and there aren't many schools around here that will earn me a degree or certification.

If anyone could through me a bit of insight on this topic, or mainly this school, that'd be great. I did have a buddy who went years ago, but I don't stay in touch with him too often and he ended up basically wasting what he learned and doesnt have a job, etc.

i attended/graduated from ex'pression college in emeryville, ca which is exactly like full sail (to some extent).

from my perspective, school is a great experience (always). i have spent more money on school than i will ever spend on gear. but now i have access to all the gear i could ever dream of... and i am working in studios, with people i may never have had the chance to work with prior to my academic career.

if you like school (like i do) ...you will excel in any ae school and probably move on to a huge network of people you can work with in the future.

my two cents.

Everybody in Florida says Full Sail is nowhere near worth it. A lot of people at studios here actually become disinterested if you tell them you went there, due to previous Full Sail graduates they've met/worked with...

A lot of the graduates aren't all that knowledgeable about audio when they finish, and it seems like the majority of them have trouble finding jobs...

Everybody in Florida says Full Sail is nowhere near worth it. A lot of people at studios here actually become disinterested if you tell them you went there, due to previous Full Sail graduates they've met/worked with...

A lot of the graduates aren't all that knowledgeable about audio when they finish, and it seems like the majority of them have trouble finding jobs...

This was the case where I interned. They fucking hate FS grads.

I worked with this guy, he went to full sail. Said pro tools didn't introduce artifacts while importing wavs as cubase/nuendo/sonar/logic does.

didn't think heavy music needed pan guitars either.

Not a soul from FS will ever get a job here in Nashville either. They're a joke..a money maker. They cost more than my private school education with a real bachelors degree. I personally am getting a lot out of my AE education at Belmont Uni but I chose that school for connections they have and reputation/teachers. Keep researching.

please dont do it. PLEASE.

the place is a joke and so are most of the people that come out of it.

it's a waste of money - you can literally get paid to learn this shit by recording local bands...

Waste of time and money. Spend it on gear instead and learn as you go. You'll spend a lot less money and have way more real-world experience in the time it would take you to "graduate" from FS.

Full Sail is bullshit... check this out, their tuition expenses are set up so that you can't pay for it with a single "stafford student loan"..

Maximums for a Stafford Unsubsidized Loan
$09,500 -- 1st Year
$10,500 -- 2nd Year
$12,500 -- 3rd Year
$12,500 -- 4th Year
$45,000 -- Total Limit Of Funds

As of July 2010, their total tuition cost for the online music production degree (which I was seriously considering) was between 43-45,000.. but here's the kicker, they break down the payments so that a single unsubsidized student loan will not be able to cover your entire semester's payment.. you'd have to get a secondary private loan... I went to their site just now and it looks like their prices have gone up considerably..

When I backed out of admissions, I was asked to take an online survey in which I ranted about the above situation, and for some weird reason the form was "unable to submit" haha...

Anyways, yeh.. don't waste your money, you'd probably be better off interning somewhere or buying gear and fiddling about with it...

-P

$45.000 for an AE degree? Holy shit. I'm getting my degree in Audio Production in June, but studying free is over here. I wouldn't pay even $5.000 for it. Yeah, you get to use some cool gear and meet some interesting people, but you could get a really nice recording and mixing rig and even pay yourself salary for one year with that money.

If you're really into going to school for it I would pick five towns over fullsail, five towns is up in long island. Also with full sail, the numbers you're looking at are just tuition. You still need some form of housing (fullsail has no on campus living, at least they didnt a few years ago when I was gonna go), books, food, spending money, etc. etc. etc.

What bout Art Institutes?
I'll be attending the Summer Studio in June at the Art Institute in Austin, Texas just to see if that's where I wanna go.
Any past experiences with Ai?
Supposedly they have a 2.5 million dollar studio.
And It's also in the music capitol of the world... So I would think they would be halfway decent, right?

Perhaps it's different now, but one prominent graduate of Full Sail (in metal at least) is Sanford Parker. Though he graduated from there more than 10 years ago, so things are more than likely different now. I'll ask him on facebook if he has any info on the school now.

Perhaps it's different now, but one prominent graduate of Full Sail (in metal at least) is Sanford Parker. Though he graduated from there more than 10 years ago, so things are more than likely different now. I'll ask him on facebook if he has any info on the school now.

I had to google his name to have any idea who he is. Never heard of his band or most of the bands he's worked with. The only one I recognized was Pelican.

I had to google his name to have any idea who he is. Never heard of his band or most of the bands he's worked with. The only one I recognized was Pelican.

He's no Sneap in terms of popularity but at the least, he's done a lot of "newer" stuff ala Nachtmystium's last few, Krieg's latest album, and I think he also did Yakuza's newest as well.

I know Gareth has heard of Gigan, Sanford did that record as well. If you listen to his productions/mixes, he's clearly not a dumbass Full Sail graduate - but I guess they're a dime a dozen anyway.