Function of orchestra when combined with metal?

Composer1992

Nightwish fan
May 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hi, I'm doing a bit of research on symphonic metal for university and I'm wondering if I could ask some people about how they would describe the function of the orchestra when combined with metal. You could be as descriptive as you like and talk about what the orchestra does for the music, how it works and why it's used. I'm doing this to try and find out what the general consensus is for some of my research. Sorry to post as a noob user but I want to hear what people have to say on forums. Thanks!

Simply put, it adds that sense of the grandiose to it. They're almost always a supporting role, following along with the riffs, but the point is that they give a layer to the sound. Bands like that tend to have images of "majesty" to them, it's all wrapped up like a religious ceremony of sorts, and the symphonic elements make the music sound like it's more than just a band playing instruments, that it's more like the soundtrack of something.

-Fills out the chord voicings
-More variety of timbre
-clean melody and harmony in contrast to the harsh metal melody and harmony
-new highs and lows (piccolo, double bass)

@BlackMetalWhiteGuy I listened to both of the Tvangeste albums and I thought the second one (from 2003) was so much better than the first (2000) one. I really liked it, thanks! And the Fleshgod Apocolypse album was amazing, thanks for putting me onto that!

@Spiderchrist the Septicflesh album was really cool, I enjoyed it a lot. I thought the way they used orchestral elements was really tasteful and I loved when they would have a quiet orchestral part and then go back to the heavy brutal sound. Thanks for linking it!