Funk

Im not sure what true funk is, I have always liked it as an element in the groove of songs but most Im fimiliar with is probably fused with other styes. My favorite funk groove fused with the blues would be intro riff for Couldnt Stand the Weather.

Man that James Brown is the shit ! Love the slappy drumming! I'll never forget his epic "I cant go on" Ed Sullivan show
---------------------------

I remembered I have this Elvin Bishop live album(tape) that has a lot of funk rock groove on it, fairly big band too. One song everyone should love if for nothing other than the amusing story - Juke Joint Jump, an all time favorite party song of mine. You'd love the bass line STN, it carries the song

How about Funky Nassau from the end of the Blues Brothers movie... stewin'

Then there was The Average White Band - Cut the Cake - Pick Up the Pieces, a bit toward commercialized disco I suppose but disco was funk based. Cut the Cake is the better of the two IMO.

Superfly - what was that, funky soul/R&B?

I just read The Isley Brothers have a song that is supposedly in contention with one of James Browns for "the first funk song"... with none other than a young Jimi Hendrix on guitar, I cant find an example of it though, was kinda bummed out.

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings are doing some great funk/soul that sounds like it was recorded in 1968. I need to get some of their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: