Fuzz pedals?

Morgan138

Nov 1, 2006
Can anyone suggest any decent fuzz pedals to check out? Maybe something that could do a raw black metal sound (hopefully with a little less brittleness than the classic HM-2 -> board), or weird black metal (like Velvet Cacoon's "underwater" outro parts, kind of?), but also the fuzzy leads/raspy chords doom tone.

I'm using a Carvin V3 + V30s half stack which I love, but even in 50 watt EL34 "loose" distortion mode it's still pretty tight and modern-sounding.

Do they make decent affordable Big Muffs now, or are there good copies to look for? I've always heard of Big Muff and Fuzz Face being the two main branches of the tree - any thoughts on the similarities/differences between them?

Those Sun Faces sound cool, but are a little steep for me right now. Thanks for the link though, because that page had some interesting info.

Are Fuzz Face-type pedals usually tamer-sounding than Big Muff-type pedals?

Those Sun Faces sound cool, but are a little steep for me right now. Thanks for the link though, because that page had some interesting info.

Are Fuzz Face-type pedals usually tamer-sounding than Big Muff-type pedals?
muffs=furry, whooly, drop-b-typed-sludge-pelican riffage type of pedal
Fuzz Face = controllable / hendrix

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=6wrq9o_tw48[/ame]

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=HPJ0RbqMskA[/ame]

yeah; it think it's jack black

I prefer a fuzz face style pedal....
Although all the different knock offs can sound insanely different depending on how they are built. As said before, germanium transistors FTW, and I also prefer the sound of a fuzz pedal built with voltage feedback biasing

Hey, thanks for posting those clips. I think the Fuzz Face family is definitely too tame - I'm not really going for subtlety. Someone told me today that the Zvex Fuzz Factory was good for totally over the top fuzz and harmonics and stuff...any experience with that one?

And any thoughts on affordable Big Muff-type pedals?

I only watched a minute or so of the video....hehe, the voice does SOUND like JB, but I'm pretty sure Jables can't pull off leads like that, and I have yet to see him wearing cowboy boots.