holy Tung-Sol!!!!!! (and tube test results)

HOLY TUNG-TROLL

No seriously, Tungs are great tubes for higain, but the difference is not that big like jizzing in your pants. I put one of those in my triaxis and the sound was more round (maybe it was just placebo).

Now I've ordered some JJ balanced and higained for my Savage120

@Lasse, I thought that EH and Sovtek LPS were the same tubes.
[edit] No, they are "slightly different version of the Sovtek LPS" (from Eurotubes)

You may say its a small difference but when you can hear the difference between which 57 sounds better, which two of the same guitars sound better, which preamp sounds better, which tube sounds better, that is where the big difference lies between the andy sneaps etc and ourselves, cumulative difference.

HOLY TUNG-TROLL

No seriously, Tungs are great tubes for higain, but the difference is not that big like jizzing in your pants. I put one of those in my triaxis and the sound was more round (maybe it was just placebo).

Now I've ordered some JJ balanced and higained for my Savage120

@Lasse, I thought that EH and Sovtek LPS were the same tubes.
[edit] No, they are "slightly different version of the Sovtek LPS" (from Eurotubes)

Depends on the amp...
Engls tend to be rather scooped sounding amps so the JJ help them out...
Tung-sols might be over the top for an engl...

You may say its a small difference but when you can hear the difference between which 57 sounds better, which two of the same guitars sound better, which preamp sounds better, which tube sounds better, that is where the big difference lies between the andy sneaps etc and ourselves, cumulative difference.

But on the flip side, one thing I've noticed about the real pros like Andy (judging by his and other's posts on here, and just other interviews and such) is that there's not as much of an obsession on every gear detail ("oh yeah, we used a 5150 through a Mesa cab I think, can't really remember, sounded great" as opposed to "5150 with Tung Sol and Chinese tubes, biased at 30 mA, on a Mesa cab turned on it's side with the top-right speaker mic'ed, 57 1.5" from the grille, etc."), rather just sorta working with what you have and knowing it'll probably come out fucking awesome because you're the man and it doesn't really matter that goddamn much :lol:

I certainly admit to being in the latter party in the past, but have been trying to adopt the mentality of the former - now I just need to hone the skill set to be able to match it :D