FYE must be destroyed!

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
So I'm at BWBK this weekend (and might I add that it was a fine weekend and a great show once again even though the card didn't appear to be stellar. Everyone on the bill played very well and it actually flowed a lot better than last year's event. Dark Tranquillity and Jag Panzer were both HOT!)

Anyway, I walk in and see FYE has a booth. Now FYE is like the uncle who molests you coming over for Thanksgiving dinner; nobody is comfortable with it and you just know someone's gonna get it in the ass by the end of the night. Well, for those of you who attend Ozzfest, you know what's coming. FYE is hocking Dark Tranqillity cds and pushing a "meet and greet" at their booth. Trick is, you have to buy the cd from FYE THERE, AT THE SHOW in order to be a part of this. You get a wristband. No wristband, no meet unless you can grab the band before they roll out for the next town. So, the dilemma is: meet the band by paying $15, and to FYE of all places or not meet the band and be happy with the cd of Dark Tranquillity that you got the day it came out in the USA.

Now I know that those numbers get soundscanned for DTranq. but it's at a total dismissal of the fans who put the bands where they currently are. I don't really fault DTran. as much as FYE. They could say "no wristbands go to the end of the line". That's ok. Nope, they say "no wristband, tough shit".

I can foresee me pulling a Michael Douglas/Falling Down routine at my local FYE before long. THose rotten fucking bastards. Of course they were nowhere to be found pushing Mors Principium EST cds or Jag Panzer cds. They only got their hooks in where they could make a buck. Havoc Hate was there too but you got a free shirt with the cd in addition to the meet and greet. Fuck FYE and their mothers too.

Please, glenn, don't let these money hungry hyenas into ProgPower. They are the scourge of cd shops everywhere.

That guy was particularly annoying, rotund babyface, repeatedly yelling (at the top of his lungs), "Meet Havoc Hate!" If allowed, I would have kicked the guy out the door, but FYE has a deal with ALL Clear Channel venues (to whom Earthlink Live is not connected, as far as I know). They can "hawk" their wares at any show in one of the CC venues, regardless of who's running the show (ie. independent promoter). Not sure how they decide which bands are "graced" with their services, as Dark Tranquillity and Havoc Hate are not on the same label. Truth be told, DT's label was present at the event and didn't (couldn't?) hold a separate signing session for the "non-paying" fans. Nasty trend in live performances, it sucks!

Thanks for the kind words about the 6-Pack. Best attended yet and hope to see you there next year.

Mark Gromen
BW&BK 6-Pack Weekend

Mark, the show was awesome as usual and I enjoyed it to the fullest. I am happy for the fact that you can enjoy the show without the headaches of the cash and whatnot. Let's all just hope that there is a BW&BK #4. I will be there for sure! Oh yeah, Death Angel just fucking put EVERYONE to shame there!!!

Mark and Tim deserve a huge fucking thanks for dreaming this fest up!

woosta, you did not have to buy a CD from FYE to get your stuff signed. The people who bought from FYE got to the front of the line - that was it. I had my stack of DT CD's signed by the band while they were at the table, no problems and I did not buy one from FYE.

That guy was particularly annoying, rotund babyface, repeatedly yelling (at the top of his lungs), "Meet Havoc Hate!"

Yeah, but he basically invited all kinds of smartass comments, which is always fun for jackasses like me: "Excuse me; do you know if HavocHate is gonna be signing autographs?"

If allowed, I would have kicked the guy out the door, but FYE has a deal with ALL Clear Channel venues (to whom Earthlink Live is not connected, as far as I know). They can "hawk" their wares at any show in one of the CC venues, regardless of who's running the show (ie. independent promoter).

Hey Mark... as far as I know (I could be wrong), the Agora isn't a CC-affiliated venue (at least, I don't remember ever seeing their booth there, but I've only been there a few times). And the Agora would be a much better venue than the Odeon for a show like this, anyway, IMO. It holds a bigger capacity audience, it serves food as well as drinks, and it has much more space for attendees to mill around and vendors to set up (this was my only complaint with the BWBK festival; the vendor tables were wedged into too small of an area and it was very hard to get around in there). I'm sure you've probably looked into the Agora as a possible BWBK venue, but just out of curiosity, is there some reason in particular that you picked the Odeon instead? It seems a bit small for a fest like this.

Truth be told, DT's label was present at the event and didn't (couldn't?) hold a separate signing session for the "non-paying" fans.

That didn't stop me from buying Character from them, and ignoring F{uck}YE. ;)

Unfortunately, I felt sick and had to leave about halfway through God Dethroned, so I didn't get to see Death Angel and Trouble, but the whole fest was awesome. Congrats to Mark and co. for making a future repeat attendee out of me.

EDIT: It wasn't God Dethroned that made me sick... I love God Dethroned. Just wanted to clarify that. :)

Mnemic and Dark Tranquillity SLAYED. :headbang:

awww man...I feel like a jackass now..I might be working there this summer...but don't worry all the money I suck from them I will be spending at progpower...so all the money from FYE is going to cdinzane, insideout, nightmare, exploding ned's, insideout, century media and everyone else who is there. :Spin:

eppst1 said:
woosta, you did not have to buy a CD from FYE to get your stuff signed. The people who bought from FYE got to the front of the line - that was it. I had my stack of DT CD's signed by the band while they were at the table, no problems and I did not buy one from FYE.

See, I asked that other FYE tool at the desk if you had to have a band to get things signed and he said "yes, you need a band to get stuff signed". Maybe I just gave up too easily.

Anyway, I'd personally love to see everyone boycott FYE at this and any other show until they institute a fan friendly policy. I know at Ozzfest last year, my girlfriend blew a gasket over this policy. She told the guy that FYE is a joke and they don't have any business near anything metal. The FYE guy said...now get this..." you can buy the cd now for $15 and then take it back to FYE and sell your other copy to our used section". Yeah, I'd like to pay $15 and then resell my copy for .15 cents. Super. What a braintrust this group is.

funny and true story:

I applied to work at FYE before they changed their name to FYE. I filled out the forms and stuff, and they really needed people. i thought i was in. but during the interview i made the huge mistake of telling the manager that I'm in a band, and that I absofuckinglutely love music and am familiar with a great deal of bands (thus helping customers find things easily).

what he probably thought: shit, this guy's not getting hired. he knows too much.

I don't really fault DTran. as much as FYE.
Why not? It seems to me that DTran. had some sort of deal with FYE to do this. Maybe they were getting a kick back from the cd's they sold at the FYE booth. Whatever, sounds like they had a business deal worked out between them, as to benefit them both.

Silent Song said:
funny and true story:

I applied to work at FYE before they changed their name to FYE. I filled out the forms and stuff, and they really needed people. i thought i was in. but during the interview i made the huge mistake of telling the manager that I'm in a band, and that I absofuckinglutely love music and am familiar with a great deal of bands (thus helping customers find things easily).

what he probably thought: shit, this guy's not getting hired. he knows too much.

you know that makes sense..they always pick people who don't really know many bands, so maybe I will play stupid

"So Andrew, What type of stuff do you listen to??"

"Oh whatever is on the radio, Maroon 5, Green Day, Nelly"

"Then why are you wearing an Evergrey shirt? We do not allow Prog fans here..you better not go to that festival Progpower...YOU BETTER NOT!!!!"

there are actually still real cd stores out there? o_O I wouldn't know as I shop at tons of awesome online cd distros for all the various genres of metal that I enjoy. Heck, check out my links page at www.tattooedsean.com to only see a small list of them.
The only actual metal store I shop at occasionally is metal devastation in downtown phoenix. :headbang:

FYE will not be allowed at the festival regardless of whether they are affiliated with the venue. I don't actually do a booking or joint booking with the venue as a standard promoter. I "rent" the place for the entire weekend.

The only time I get hit with any sort of restriction is that I have to use Ticketmaster if advertise the event. I didn't advertise this year so I may be going the same route as Nearfest next year as saving both you and myself from their ridiculous fees. They take a percentage of each ticket I sell as well as hitting you with the service fee, basically doubling their monopoly money.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
The only time I get hit with any sort of restriction is that I have to use Ticketmaster if advertise the event. I didn't advertise this year so I may be going the same route as Nearfest next year as saving both you and myself from their ridiculous fees. They take a percentage of each ticket I sell as well as hitting you with the service fee, basically doubling their monopoly money.

Glenn H.

That would kick ass!!!!:Spin: :Spin: :worship:

Harvester said:
FYE will not be allowed at the festival regardless of whether they are affiliated with the venue. I don't actually do a booking or joint booking with the venue as a standard promoter. I "rent" the place for the entire weekend.

Glenn H.

If you would/could avoid ticketbastard, you would officially be god. Not A god, but THE god. And I would worship you always.

That fat fuck was annoying as hell. Fuck FYE.

The festival was great and I can't wait for next year. Here is my wish list....

Running Wild
Savatage
Accept (if not possible definetly UDO)
Gamma Ray
Destruction
Mercyful Fate
Celtic Frost
TNT
Pagan's Mind
Lizzy Borden
Manilla Road
Riot
Susperia
Skullview

I know I am asking for alot and that line up would cost ridiculous money. I don't expect that to be the line up, just bands I would love to see play the festival. Rock n Rolf needs to stop thinking like Gene Simmons settle upon some good money instead of outrageous money and get Running Wild the fuck over here.

woosta said:
If you would/could avoid ticketbastard, you would officially be god. Not A god, but THE god. And I would worship you always.

I second that opinion, Glenn. Good for you!

Don't let "the man" stick it to you. Become "the man" and stick it right back!

Rock on!

My girlfriend caught Fat Bastard sitting at the body art booth staring at the tits as some chicks got them painted at Ozzfest. So she nailed him in the sack and stormed off.