g3 with petrucci

Kenso

Juke Box Hero
Sep 18, 2006
zzz
anyone get to see this tour yet?

no fucking dates have been close enough to me :(

i saw g3 03 with malmsteen, fucking cool concert, but petrucci definatly destroys malmsteen with this group

yep, saw it back in 2001 with Petrucci, it was awesome...Last year I got to see the DVD G Live in Japan on the big screen in San Francisco, Satch came out and said some cool things before the movie started, cool stuff. G3 just got finished touring in Australia...

Bear

yep, saw it back in 2001 with Petrucci, it was awesome...Last year I got to see the DVD G Live in Japan on the big screen in San Francisco, Satch came out and said some cool things before the movie started, cool stuff. G3 just got finished touring in Australia...

Bear

oh really i didnt know they had petrucci in 01

sounds awesome though man, i wish i would have seen him instead

malmsteen is good but hes no petrucci, especially without a singer

Hey Kenso. I saw Petrucci with G3 not long ago in Sydney Australia. He was incredible. Probably needs to work on his stage presence a little, but i guess he leaves his guitar to do the talking ;)
Vai was great but i didnt like his setlist that much.
Satch pretty much did 'Satch's greatest hits'.

All in all Petrucci owned the night as far as im concerned. Anyone noticed how big he's getting these days too?

Hey Kenso. I saw Petrucci with G3 not long ago in Sydney Australia. He was incredible. Probably needs to work on his stage presence a little, but i guess he leaves his guitar to do the talking ;)

All in all Petrucci owned the night as far as im concerned. Anyone noticed how big he's getting these days too?

i never did like alot of vais set selections but i guess cause theres so much everyone likes differently about him its hard to please em all ya know

fire garden was my personal fav

Yep, sounds just like the G3 tour I saw here in Atlanta, I guess it had to be 2001 (!) Vai was good and Satriani was great, but Petrucci's set impressed me because at the time, it was freshly composed and designed for that tour.

Well, I didn't get to see Petrucci's edition of G3, but I did catch the last one. Malmsteen, Vai and Satch were all pretty much as expected, no surprises. I thought the "other" guy, Tony MacAlpine was one of the shining spots of that performance.

My hand is raised as well for those who want a solo MacAlpine slot for G3. Satch and Vai have enough drawing power, so I can't see why they don't have some lesser known openers on these tours. That said, I saw the 2001 tour with Petrucci, and it was pretty sweet. I must say, however, that he has a bit of difficulty jamming with the big boys, as he kept going back to his speed picking trick when it seemed like he was running out of ideas. Nonetheless, he's an incredible player, and having Portnoy and Dave LaRue as his backing band didn't hurt, either.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I have seen MacAlpine twice with Planet X. He is an amazing guitarist who SHOULD have his own slot on the G3 tour. Or, maybe you make it G4.

yep, saw it back in 2001 with Petrucci,

Ditto

Flat out AMAZING show - one of the best I have seen and had great seats too

Joe, Petrucci and Vai - PLUS in the bands you got:

Stu Hamm and Jeff Campitelli (Joe)

Billy Sheehan and Virgil Donati (VAI)

and Portnoy and Dave LaRue (Petrucci)

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

i thought mcalpine is usually with vai during the g3 tours

he plays keyboard for vai, its pretty bad ass cause he will do a keyboard solo then flip the guitar off his back and do a guitar battle with steve

i saw g3 in 03, but it was a long time ago and i was like 13 or 14, i was just breaking the surface on the virtuoso genre

i could have sworn mcalpine was with vai but who knows

as much as i love mcalpine there is other guitarists that would fit the bill better than him, i really wish they would invite steve morse on a tour.

hell they need to have a g-10, kinda like prog power

damn id go to that over prog power in a heart beat, but im a way bigger fan of that genre too though, dont get me wrong, i love my prog power, i wouldnt be on these boards if i didnt.

regardless im just saying that as amazing as mcalpine is, some guitarists just fit the bill a bit better than he does, cause his solo work is great but not as stand out as someone like steve morses

btw zinga, how was planet x? they are one of my favs

they are getting holdsworth, greg howe, i think the return of mcalpine to do a few licks, to do some stuff with the new planet x. That band has so many damn people floating through it i wonder if the entire band has been changed by now haha. Moonbabies is in my top ten cds most likely, such an awesome and powerful sound, especially on the title track.

please dont think im tryin to take anything from mcalpine...cause hes amazing and im a big fan

if there was a g-10 though, id say put him on for sure.

Both shows were fantastic in their own way. What made them really great was not only the music, but also the venues. One was in a local bar, and the other was in a high school auditorium. Afterwards all the members were very accessable too. Here are some pics from the show in October 2001.

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00069.jpg