Gang vocal mixing

JohnTheRipper

Feb 12, 2012
Hey there folks, I need some advice with this song I'm mixing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62794148/Brew.mp3
My main concern are the gang vocals in the chorus. They just seem like they don't belong to the song, and they sound out of place to me. Any ideas on how to make them blend in?
Also, what do you think of the drums? They seem a little dry and obtrusive, but when i put a little verb on them they sound washy and not in the same space as the rest of the song. Also, if i try to use verb on all the elements of the song, it just doesn't fit the style.
Thanks for your time and awaiting feedback:)

I don't like the kick esp the attack. The snare could be a bit brighter. Crunch guitar at the end is a bit loud to me but it's a good job, it sounds good!
To me, the main problem for the gang vocals is the lack of conviction. They're not very well performed imo. You should mix them down.
But the overall sounds good and the song/band is great too.

Alright, updated the mix in the OP with volume and some distortion automation, should be more balanced now.
those gang vocals still give me nightmares:mad:

I think you could pull it off if you make the background vocals very airy and reverb-y then remove the automation on the main vocal so it always sits firmly in the center. The goal is to make the background vocals to just slightly accent that line. At the moment they're quite present in the mix and is sung too softly.

Jesus, why didn't i think of that. Thanks for the idea Plankis :worship:, this kind of stuff is exactly why i visit this forum.