FREE BEER! Come and get it while it's cold

JohnTheRipper

Feb 12, 2012
Ok, now that i've got everybody's attention, take a listen to something i recorded this week. The acoustic guitars are simulated (electric going into acoustic simulator), and they're there just for the moment, until i record some real acoustic guitars, but still, they don't sound that far off when in solo, but they get completely burried in a mix situation. Any ideas on how to make them stand out more, and have more body?

Also, any advice on how i can make the cymbals sound more like real cymbals? Whenever i mix real drums the overheads sound a lot dirtier and grittier, and mine just sound real shiny (toontrack vintage ezx). Throwing saturation plugs on the ohs doesn't solve the problem, and low-passing them makes them sound just horrible.

Anyway, here's the track so you can listen:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62794148/master.mp3

PS:the beer is a lie, sorry.
Also, the song will have vocals too, it won't be so repetitive.

John heard alot of old skool in there man Great Solo thanks for posting your Track :)

S1770

* Off topic *

No offense S1770 but I don't have any idea of what is your "Reference Rework Strip Bus'd" stuff you post every time you comment a mix! And I think I'm not the only one in that case. Can ya explain??

Back on topic...
Good song, I'm listening on my laptop right now but the mix seems to be good as well.

I think it sounds great until the distorted guitars come in at around 1 minute, they're just waaay too loud. I suppose you were going for some more power in the chorus but I really think the distortion is enough, just try to keep a consistent level. No need to wreck eardrums.

If you want the "acoustic" guitars to be more audible and have more body you will have to sacrifice that in other instruments... Well ok that might not be the case here, just raise the volume and maybe cut out some high mids or shelve some treble off and see if it gets too muddy.

I might sound sound stupid , but i would just.... turn the "acoustic" guitars up a few dbs :)

As for the OHs , I totally see what you mean, and I often have the same problem... I'm not sure how EZ drummer works (I use SDII ) , but try to use quite a lot of room sound in your cymbals if that's possible . Compressing them and / or running them through an analog/tube simulation might help too

Good luck !

Alright, updated the mix (same link in the OP).
I've recorded a real guitar now and made some changes to the arrangements, also humanized the drums a bit.

imo it sounded better with the lead in the center and the acoustics double tracked and panned l/r, as well as doubled distorted guitars during the chorus. The real acoustic guitar sounds a lot better than the fake.