Gather – Beyond the Ruins

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Gather – Beyond the Ruins
Catalyst Records – CR23 – 31 December 06
By Ryan Starr

cr23_cov.gif

Why are these hippy vegans so angry? I would think they would be for peace and harmony for all. But I guess every movement must have a militant side, and Gather seems to be one of the faces for it. Gather are strict straight edge vegans, and that message dominates their music, so much so that the music suffers from it. Beyond the Ruins is pretty generic. If it weren’t for the female vocalist, you wouldn’t be able to distinguish them from any other hardcore band.

And speaking of the vocals, they don’t quite fit. Genie isn’t a bad vocalist, but her high pitched screams just don’t fit the band. There are a couple ways to fix this though. One idea is to tune in standard E. It sounds like Gather tune to C, which may sound heavier, but I really don’t think it’s necessary. Tuning up to E would match the vocals better and add some definition to the muddy sounding riffs. The other option is to replace her, which I don’t think will happen. Another problem I have with the vocals is the tough guy/girl spoken parts. She sounds like a 14 year old valley girl. Definitely not a voice that sounds dominant and hostile. Thankfully, those parts are limited to a couple tracks.

Overall, I think if Gather spent more time on the music and less time on the message, they would have gotten a better review. But if you want to use your band as a soap box to preach your message, I guess that’s ok. Well, actually, I don’t think its ok, but whatever.

Official Gather Myspace
Official Catalyst Website