circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Ruins of Beverast – Unlock the Shrine
Battle Kommand Records – BKR010 – March 7th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

the-ruins.jpg

The Ruins of Beverast are from Germany, have ties to the disbanded Nagelfar, and have wormed their way onto Azentrius’s (Nachtmystium, Twilight) Battle Kommand Records. A hearty helping of Germanic black metal that mirrors USBM on several counts is always welcome, especially this 70-minute disc, and Unlock the Shrine is, to put it bluntly, frightening and frighteningly good all at once.

Similar to a novel in which two characters alternate between chapters, their paths approaching each other as the climax nears, The Ruins of Beverast switch from black metal to haunting interludes – which intertwine at times – throughout the life of Unlock the Shrine. The influence of titans Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, and Xasthur has apparently traversed the ocean, as this recording borrows many of USBM’s trademarked elements – fuzzed-up production, droning instrumentation, and unsettling nightmarish sounds. I’m of the opinion that this full-length isn’t as primitive as it might have you believe, the spot-on nuances of “The Clockhand’s Groaning Circles” contributing to my disbelief somewhat, in addition to the keyboard-driven interjections that are scarier than a Silent Hill soundtrack. During unnerving tracks like “Procession of Pawns,” it’s difficult to ward off the paranoia that the foreboding, invasive sounds of such ambient darkness fosters. Back at the grind, though, is “Summer Decapitation Ritual,” which fits alongside Twilight’s material nicely, though the former is more aggressive and predatory, rather than just plain sulky. The synth excerpts recall Summoning, and I can’t help but appreciate this band’s sense of groove-littered trance.

I don’t know if Unlock the Shrine would’ve been as successful if The Ruins of Beverast hadn’t included terrifying, electronic “relief” between caustic black metal episodes, but I’d say that that product wouldn’t be as effective, nor as exhilarating. Impatient listeners need not apply, however, with such emphasis placed on ambiance, though the results are still dismal no matter which kind of ammo TRoB utilize. Perhaps most surprising is the fact that this came from Germany, and not the U.S. Even so, I’m glad Battle Kommand licensed this 2004 effort for U.S. distribution because von Meilenwald may just be Germany’s future BM prizefighter.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Battle Kommand Records Website

So far this is the best, most ambitious thing I have heard in 2006. You really need to listen to it a number of times before all the layers of sound make their true impact. "The Clockhand's Groaning Circles" is one of the best tracks EVER in any genre of metal...unbelievably vast and huge!:OMG:

This makes overhyped stuff like Xasthur crawl away and die...

This band is very good indeed.

Anything involving former members of Nagelfar is sure to be good.

Graupel and Graven being other examples.