Gating a snare in Cubase?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
This should be simple to explain, but I can't wrap my head around it just yet.

I've created an FX channel in the mixer and I'm using Roomworks SE with any given setting. I open the RoomworksSE FX channel settings and I insert the gate right after the reverb on the left side. In the Gate VST window there's an activate sidechain button, and I activate that. From there, I'm clueless.

Most people, unless its for a special effect, dont gate reverbs. I've never heard of it being used with metal, i normally hear it in pop (phil collins uses gated reverbs on his snare tracks alot).

A gate in metal is used on a snare to get rid of excess bleed (hi-hat being the main culprit) in between hits. It's also put directly on the snare channel, and is normally one of the first processes done in the chain. After you gate your snare track (and do your other processing), thats when you send part of it to the fx channel with the reverb on it.

Also, many reverb plug ins have a gated reverb preset (or a way to set it up to sound gated) so you wouldnt have to gate it yourself if that was the sound you were going for.

Cubase doesn't have a gated verb setting I believe. I'm also not going for a metal sound, I'm going for some industrial drums.

Ok. Then yes, you would need to gate the verb and sidechain the snare to the gate. With cubase 4 or 5 and a vst 3 plug-in you would activate the sidechain on the gate after the verb and then use a send from the snare to send the signal to that plug in. With any earlier versions of cubase its a huge pain to sidechain.