SD2 in Cubase 5

Imbow

May 17, 2010
Hey.

As I'm learning a lot from this forum about recording guitars properly, I have recently been trying to improve my MIDI drum sound in my Cubase projects. I normally just import the drum MIDI file, split it so I can control kick, snare etc. seperately in order to mix each track. But as far as I know, you should be able to route SD2's samples with busses? But I just can't figure out how to make this work in Cubase. :/ Not sure about it has something to do with my Line6 POD UX2, which only has 1 channel? Can anybody explain to me, how you can make a FX channel, to put on EQ and compression, for each drum, cymbal etc. in Cubase 5 with SD2?

Do you mean Superior Drummer 2.0? You only need one single MIDI file to control it in any DAW. The plugin itself splits the file internally (you don't have to think about it), and by default it's (for example): Midi C2 = Kick drum, Midi D1 = snare, and so on in a single file. But you have to manually change SD2.0 to multichannel mode inside its own mixer. Right-click on where it says Stereo under the whole array of channels inside SD2.0 mixer, and select Multichannel (just once is enough). Then SD2.0 will automatically build the separate "audio" channels to your Cubase project.

Edit:
But as for separate cymbals, unfortunately that is impossible in SD2.0 without manually exporting each (EXTREMELY slow, so I won't recommend it). It's something that really bugs me, because in a very busy mix, the ride cymbals (especially) are easily lost behind the drum barrage, since they either stick out like a sore thumb when you increase their own volume within SD2.0, or they get lost. Having separate channels for them would really help! Sometimes some specific cymbals also "disappear" on their own on every second hit, but it could be the humanize function...

Do you mean Superior Drummer 2.0? You only need one single MIDI file to control it in any DAW. The plugin itself splits the file internally (you don't have to think about it), and by default it's (for example): Midi C2 = Kick drum, Midi D1 = snare, and so on in a single file. But you have to manually change SD2.0 to multichannel mode inside its own mixer. Right-click on where it says Stereo under the whole array of channels inside SD2.0 mixer, and select Multichannel (just once is enough). Then SD2.0 will automatically build the separate "audio" channels to your Cubase project.

Edit:
But as for separate cymbals, unfortunately that is impossible in SD2.0 without manually exporting each (EXTREMELY slow, so I won't recommend it). It's something that really bugs me, because in a very busy mix, the ride cymbals (especially) are easily lost behind the drum barrage, since they either stick out like a sore thumb when you increase their own volume within SD2.0, or they get lost. Having separate channels for them would really help! Sometimes some specific cymbals also "disappear" on their own on every second hit, but it could be the humanize function...

You can raise the volume of individual cymbals I believe, in the construction window right click the cymbal and the options appear in the lower right.

You can raise the volume of individual cymbals I believe, in the construction window right click the cymbal and the options appear in the lower right.

Yes, like I mentioned in my post, but it's not enough control for me. I would like to add some compression etc to bring out the ringing of the ride, for example :) And if I want to boost some specific frequencies in *just* the ride cymbal, it's impossible. You can only do it for the entire overhead stereo track of SD2.0, and it will also (naturally) affect all the other cymbals too, which is not what I want. This is a very bad oversight from the Toontrack team. To my knowledge, separate ride tracks are more the standard than exception in professional metal drum micing, simply for this reason.