SD2 "plastic" attack issues

Have SD2.0???

Two Words...

Metal Machine!!!

(Add Slate Samples to that and well, you won't need anything else)

/Thread

I have Metal Machine, but it suffers from the same problem. It has this harsh attack that sticks out more than any other aspect of the tone, makes it sound like the snare and kicks are very shallow.

Turn the softness or hardness what was it? Anyways.. tweaking that according to midi source will make the snare sound extremely realistic. I don't like the kicks either so I just trigger them.

Ok, I'm definitely convinced now that my skills are the problem. This sounds good. Maybe I'm using the wrong velocities while programming? I usually leave the main hits are 127, when I go lower it sounds less plastic but loses power at the same time, it's driving me insane.

Compression and transient design? I try keeping mine around 120 for normal hits.

Thanks. It's the first snare in MM (don't recall the name of it). I am sending it to a bus in parallel that has a HP/LP at 100/300Hz, a small 1 or 2dB boost at 200Hz, then transient shaper set to destroy, then that gets blended to taste with the regular snare sound (to add thump/weight/fatness); and just a slight high shelf boost of like 1dB on the regular snare track for a little more air.

Thanks. It's the first snare in MM (don't recall the name of it). I am sending it to a bus in parallel that has a HP/LP at 100/300Hz, a small 1 or 2dB boost at 200Hz, then transient shaper set to destroy, then that gets blended to taste with the regular snare sound (to add thump/weight/fatness); and just a slight high shelf boost of like 1dB on the regular snare track for a little more air.

Thanks for the tip! It really hads some thickness to a snare.

Forgot about that thread. Very interesting ill read and listen to the samples. Though my main problem is with the toms :s
Interesting trick 006! So u have the rangle drom 100 to 300 only blended with the original snare ill try that out! I got metal machine along with some other toontrack stuff but didnt get the chance to try it yet i REALLY hope i can get better toms with it

Yup, exactly. Comparison clip (first half normal MM, second half with the parallel 200Hz added): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/794136/parallel 200Hz trick/without-with.mp3

Screen%20shot%202012-10-15%20at%2012.32.13%20PM.png

Hey Guys,

I've been using Superior Drummer for a few months now and I managed to get some good results, but there's this harsh/plastic attack on snare and kick that is very annoying and I can't find a way to soften it.

I tried to reduce the attack with the envelope option within SD2, but it didn't help much, the plastic attack is still there. I also tried some saturation to make the transient a bit smoother, no luck either. The SPL Transient Designer gives me pretty much the same results as the envelope shaper in SD2, so it's not helping with that issue.

I know it's possible to get a nicer attack from SD2 because many people have done that, so it's definitely my fault that it's not working. Productions such as the first Periphery album and Animals As Leaders have the sort of attack that I'm trying to achieve (especially on snare and kick) and since they used SD2 for the drums, it makes me wonder how they managed to get a smoother attack.

Any ideas?

P.S: I'm not mixing within SD2, I have all mics routed to separate tracks.

Why don't you just get the bulb presets from toontrack.

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=97

The problem you're having here isn't the samples or the recorded sound its the programming.

Do not program everything at 127. You will make the drummer sound like a robot. That's the reason everything sounds plasticy.

Think of it in this way. If everything is the same level, it is already compressed. So effectively you are not even compressing. Change the velocities. Let it lose that power so you can bring it back together with compression. This will glue your drums down TIGHT.

kick : I personally leave at 127 then have realy quick bursts lower.

snare : never have all your hits on 127 most sample banks have those as crack rim shots. Wich drummer hits a rimshot everytime haha. Try setting main hits between 120-126 ( or just select all snare notes on random).

On rolls or fills apply the same effect but do it as right hand stronger than left and consecutive rolls not as hard as the first right hit UNLESS ITS accents.

A good snare roll will look like this.

R126 L120 R122 L117 R 122 L 118 r 120 L 117

That way that first r126 is your accent or "pulse".

Will make it sound much more realistic. Apply the same techniques to your toms too.

The problem you're having here isn't the samples or the recorded sound its the programming.

Do not program everything at 127. You will make the drummer sound like a robot. That's the reason everything sounds plasticy.

Think of it in this way. If everything is the same level, it is already compressed. So effectively you are not even compressing. Change the velocities. Let it lose that power so you can bring it back together with compression. This will glue your drums down TIGHT.

kick : I personally leave at 127 then have realy quick bursts lower.

snare : never have all your hits on 127 most sample banks have those as crack rim shots. Wich drummer hits a rimshot everytime haha. Try setting main hits between 120-126 ( or just select all snare notes on random).

On rolls or fills apply the same effect but do it as right hand stronger than left and consecutive rolls not as hard as the first right hit UNLESS ITS accents.

A good snare roll will look like this.

R126 L120 R122 L117 R 122 L 118 r 120 L 117

That way that first r126 is your accent or "pulse".

Will make it sound much more realistic. Apply the same techniques to your toms too.

Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately that's not exactly the problem that I'm experiencing. The programming itself is sounding realistic enough, the problem is with the sounds, they have too much of that "point" and the usual solutions don't seem to help much. When I say "plastic" I'm not saying that the programming sounds fake, I'm referring to the sound itself having that plastic attack that is not very pleasant, even if it's just one hit isolated, everything sounds way too clicky.

I've never been saitisfied with the SD drums to be honest. I think if you buy all the add on kits and mess with it for hours on end you might get it the way you want.

But the reason stuff like the blending works better with samples (Take the trigger stuff it give you chance to blend 4 drum sounds in one) is because it thickens up the drum. SD leaves you with thinner drums just because they are what they are.

One technique worth looking it is using the decapitator plugin across the drum bus, it fattens it up a bit. Thats about as good as I got them.

But they are definitly right around here. Trigger, or the SSD 4 is the way to go, possibly combined with SD2.

Ive heard some good stuff with SD, but never anything that comes close to the real metal tones of proper sample replacement. Must be the way the room samples work.

I love these drums (sample replaced with the engineers own drum samples) Love the pointyness but yet how it manages to maintain a controlled size! The snare cracks perfectly for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTT6picaCoQ

Someone should post a comparison between a "plastic" sounding snare and a normal one. I'm not familiar with the term used to describe the sound.