1176 fast attack issues

Mikaël-ange;10495328 said:
And the funny thing in that comment is: duende is what you have when using a C200. So Duende is the real SSL.

I know what you want to mean so apologize for that...

I don't understand what you mean. What I'm trying to say is that I record and mix on an SSL E/G Series console all the time and the UAD emulation is the closest sounding plug-in I've heard to the real thing.

Darren "Jenk" Jenkins;10496914 said:
I don't understand what you mean. What I'm trying to say is that I record and mix on an SSL E/G Series console all the time and the UAD emulation is the closest sounding plug-in I've heard to the real thing.

Closest thing to e/g console maybe, I haven't tried the UAD and I don't plan to...
Btw not all ssl eq sound the same (brown, black, orange...).

But the way you wrote your previous post was like UAD ssl is the closest thing to ssl eq, so closest thing to the Duende (duende is the C200 (digital ssl console) eq ported to rtas/vst)...

No worry man, you just made a not technically clear post and I jumped to it (as I like to do since I'm a pretentious guy for some)...

Funny that this thread turned from 1176 compression issues into what's the best SSL Emulation.
I use 1176 style compression on snare (often in parallel) to add sustain and ring to snare - give it some more tone and air. It kills the attack too much most of the time (hence in parallel) but can add really nice sustain.

As for SSL Emulation. I use both, Waves SSL and Duende. Duende is much cleaner and precise sounding with a tight bottom and at the same it sounds alot more analog in the sense that you can add 10-15 dbs of boost without the sound falling apart. Great midrange focus and a really tight bottom. Waves SSL has this really smeary, dirty sound I think with thick low mids and a little woolliness going on. But I really like it on toms, sometimes bass and some vocals. Duende for all the rest of the drums and main vocals.