Achtung Ermz: 1176 attack test (visual)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
hey...just wanted so SEE how quick the attack on the 1176 (hardware) is, so I ran some tests....

settings on the 1176 were: release: fastest, ratio 4:1 (or all button in)

attack: fastest or slowest

I ran a 1k sine wave, a 10k sine and white noise through it and re-recorded it into PT (with latency correction), then I took two screenshots per test (one zoomed a bit further in than the other)...the grid-lines you see are 1ms, so it's pretty easy to tell how fast the attack is.

here are all the screenshots:

zip folder

here are the ones that could be interesting for Ermin (and other people as well):

all buttons, white noise, slowest attack:
Bild%201.png

Bild%202.png

10k sine full button slow attack:

Bild%202.png

and for comparison: same settings but 4:1 ratio:
Bild%202.png

so the attack on the Full Button mode is quite a bit slower than on the regular ratios....in this case it's like 4-5ms

EDIT: forgot to mention...top track is the original one, bottom track the compressed one

Im sure you already Knew Lasse.. but don't forget that on 1176's the attack and release are backwards to what a lot of people expect ..
i.e 1 is slow and 6 is fast

Yeah totally came out as expected. Thanks for doing that.

My clones don't have all-buttons mode... but quite honestly at 5ms I can't see that being all too useful on direct drums anyway. I think the 1176 is best used at annihilating in parallel, or mono rooms, or probably vocals as my fave. Let me know if you find some direct drum uses on them, because I'm thinking the Rev D I was originally going to use on bass won't be getting put there.

You know, I don't think I actually have any raws I like. All my bank have been pre-processed. Feel free to just run anything through and give us a before/after a/b if you'd like. Curious to hear it!