Sidechaining FAQ

i just sort of assumed it was the same vid i watched a while back, which was like 12 mins. long, and really drawn out

Just been experimenting with this today, with bass guitar and kick drums. I'm using Sonar6 so it doesn't look like I can use the above tutorial. I've tried with a number of compressors putting the kick in the Left channel and bass in the Right channel and it sidechains like that, but I seem to always get distortion going on if I set the attack low, and if its high then its useless. How can I avoid this, and can you recommend any free plugins that will work?

Just been experimenting with this today, with bass guitar and kick drums. I'm using Sonar6 so it doesn't look like I can use the above tutorial. I've tried with a number of compressors putting the kick in the Left channel and bass in the Right channel and it sidechains like that, but I seem to always get distortion going on if I set the attack low, and if its high then its useless. How can I avoid this, and can you recommend any free plugins that will work?

Set the attack first at 1ms and then add 1-2 ms at a time until it doest clip anymore, then turn down the treshold so that it scoops only like 1-5 dBf off on normal hits. You are not supposed to hear the effect clearly, its just to give room for both of them.

For the plugins, see the first link in the first post. I've used the slim slow slider side chain compressor myself.

After watching the cubase sx tutorial it seems as if it is setup for stereo sidechaining. How do you go about setting it up for mono such as compressing the bass keyed with a kick, both mono?

Thanks.

Ok. It was just confusing as he is using midi tracks which I just imagined were stereo. Thanks.

Does anyone know any more newbie-oriented tutorial? I don't quite understand this one. I mean. I get for what situations I could use SC to solve problems, but I just don't get what to use or how to. Here are my questions:
1) As I have read in other sites, a compressor is used to SC. Is it a normal compressor or is it a plugin?
2) In the case where 2 instruments battle for a region (like bass and kick). Is the goal to lower the bass' volume when the kick hits so that one can hear the kick better?
3) I saw that big list of plugins, but I am so lost I don't know where to start as I don't even know if I should use a regular compressor of this sidechain plugins are some other type of compressor

I also seek a better explanation, some of these scenarios just arent detailed or don't really tell you how/what to use in specific.

Also something with clips would be good :)

any uses for sidechaining compressor/ limiter on master bus?

I actually take my words back on this one... There is ONE thing that has a massive benefit on master bus sidechaining in metal music: Subdrops. If you duck the music just a bit, it cuts thru a lot better.

How to use it is actually really simple:

Put the Subdrop on its own track and route all other tracks to a bus (lets call it "Music" in this tutorial), then route it to go the master bus (you must have a limiter there at -0.5dBFS treshold just in case something goes terribly wrong). Then insert a sidechain compressor to the Music-bus and set the subdrop channel as the key input. Set the attack to quickest possible (around 1ms) and treshold so that the Music-bus ducks about 2-6dB when the subdrop hits (so that it sounds both good and not too obvious) and then comes the hardest part; Setting the release. You want to set the release as fast as you can but still so that it is slow enough for the compressor to react for long enough so that it doesn't sound too obvious. Set it so, that it immidiately stops attenuating, when the initial blast wears off and the decay starts to come. This varies a lot by the sample you use. I think 15-30ms might be optimal, because 30ms lets a 28hz make a full loop and 20ms lets a 50hz make a full loop and 10ms lets a 100hz make a full loop, try it out what works the best with your sample. But if your compressor doesn't have quick enough release, set it to the fastest possible OR so that it sounds good.

tl,dr:
subs on own track, everything else to a bus
sidechain comp to bus insert, sub as key input
0-2ms attack possible
15-30ms release
2-6dB attenuation

I also forgot to mention that vocoder is basically a method of sidechaining too.

Would you be able to explain this by any chance? I can't find any info on the net.

I'm assuming that you mean you can use compression, gating and filter etc (without a vocoder plugin) to get a vocoder effect?

EDIT: Well, how embarrassingly stupid that question was...

I was listening to some Tool songs like Pot and Vicarious. The bass and drums seems to really glue together. I was wondering if sidechaining can help achieve that to some levels. I am mixing my band, a 'Metal/Rock' band and want to know if its a good idea to do that.

I think it's completely necessary for the low end to glue. Sidechaining the kick to the bass allows you to ride it a little higher without compromising your kick.

What settings are you people using on the compressor when sidechaining kick and bass? I learned it thru this Reaper tutorial, by the way:

If anyone has an audio example on how the bass and kick should sound in something with a constant double kick pattern (say, 190bpm, for example), it would be awesome

Last edited by a moderator: