Avid compressor/limiter dyn 3 side chain issue

MetalSir

Nov 17, 2008
guyz I'm having some problems with the avid dyn3.
Basically I use this plugin for sidechaining kick, snare and so on.
My problem is that when I load my PT session the plugin's sidechain is switched off. In other words every time I load my session I need to open all the plugin's instances and switch the sidechain on. :guh:
Am I missing something or what? :guh:

:kickass:

I have no 'long term' solution but temporarly, you could just write an automation point. I don't use this plugin but I think it's possible.

I have no 'long term' solution but temporarly, you could just write an automation point. I don't use this plugin but I think it's possible.
yep I did it.. because it was impossible working like that.. but I was thinking that maybe I'm a douche and I'm doing something wrong.. :guh:

Sounds weird.

What you could also do for future sessions, is set the plug in default to be a setting with the side chain switched on.

I do this with most of my frequently used plugins.
Like turning of the FUCKING ANALOG (white noise) switch on waves plug-ins.
Hours saved.

According to the manual, only the side-chain LISTEN setting (the loudspeaker symbol) is not saved with the session (or preset). The external key setting (key symbol) is supposed to be saved. I'll check at home how it behaves on my system.

According to the manual, only the side-chain LISTEN setting (the loudspeaker symbol) is not saved with the session (or preset). The external key setting (key symbol) is supposed to be saved. I'll check at home how it behaves on my system.

Yes, the LISTEN setting is not saved. So my issue is supposed to be a normal thing. LOLZ. Please suggest me something else to sidechain my shits.. :D

Why would you want listen saved on? You just want the key button, not the speaker. That function is literally for making sure you have what you want inputting the side chain.

Yeah the listen button is just so you can hear the signal hitting the sidechain, you're not supposed to actually leave it running for the mix. The sidechain still works with the listen button out, you get to listen to your full bandwidth sound while the compressor is acting on that triggered by the filtered signal going down the sidechain.

Why would you want listen saved on? You just want the key button, not the speaker. That function is literally for making sure you have what you want inputting the side chain.
umh.. i need to listed it because i use those sidechains to enhance the kick and the snare. i use a compressor on those tracks and then i sidechain 'em to add some additional details.

In ex: i first compress and eq my snare, then i send the signal to a sidechain compressor with a very fast attack (.1ms), slow release (200ms) and hard compression just to obtain a nice sustain without boosting the attack. then i blend the two signal and that's it.
I do something similar for adding more punch and "air" to the kick.
The point is that I NEED the listen function enabled for making this shit working.
Am I a bad man? :guh:

Maybe we need a screen shot. This honestly makes no sense to me. If you set side chain input to bus 1 and you click listen you are only hearing bus one with the filters and no compression no matter what track you're on.
If you want to do parallel compression just dupe the track or send the bus to an aux input.

Maybe we need a screen shot. This honestly makes no sense to me. If you set side chain input to bus 1 and you click listen you are only hearing bus one with the filters and no compression no matter what track you're on.
If you want to do parallel compression just dupe the track or send the bus to an aux input.
I forgot to say that I'm sending my signal to an aux input with my dyn3 on. :loco:
I have seen this thing somewhere on YouTube.. Tomorrow I'll search that tutorial and post it here! Now I'm about to sleep..

Sounds like you just want to set a parallel comp man. Just what Egan said. Then no need for the 'listen' button or sidechaining anything.

I forgot to say that I'm sending my signal to an aux input with my dyn3 on. :loco:
I have seen this thing somewhere on YouTube.. Tomorrow I'll search that tutorial and post it here! Now I'm about to sleep..
not sure if the tutorial i told you yesterday is this:

but is basically my approach to this thing.. :guh:
any better idea or suggestions are very appreciated. :kickass:

EDIT: i have read my previous posts and YES i'm obviously on parallel compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, what you want is parallel compression.
Use the send from your 1st kick track as the main input for the 2nd track (or simply duplicate the track) and not as the sidechain input! No need for the listen to be kept switched on then or any sidechaining whatsoever.

not sure if the tutorial i told you yesterday is this:
mqdefault.jpg

but is basically my approach to this thing.. :guh:
any better idea or suggestions are very appreciated. :kickass:

From the video description:
"READ:
when i say "side chain compression" i actually mean "parallel compression". they are two different things. sorry for the mistake. "

So it looks like he mislead you a bit. All you need to do is set the input of an AUX track to be the bus you were previously using via the sidechain listen. So if you're sending your kick on Bus 1 then just make sure the input box for your parallel processing aux channel is Bus 1. You'll save processing power and headaches.

hey folkz! thanks a lot for your feedback! unfortunately I didn't received any reply notification from this 3ad in those days.. dunno why! btw, it was a dull move using side chaining to achieve a parallel compression.. LOL.. forgive me.. I have been away from my protools for something like 3 years and now I'm moving again my "first" steps.. I barely remember almost everything. So, expect a TON of dull questions from me in these days.

this is my audio portfolio BEFORE my long stop: /bandcamp.com
I just want to be able to work again like that.

Again, thank you for your constant priceless help! :D