Reaper with VERY weird issue not being able to search for VSTs, wut?

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
So recently, due to the roommate screwing up the household network, thus screwing up my computer, I've had to undergo a reinstallion of Windows 7. Before I did the reinstallation, I backed up all my plugins and other essential files on a separate hard drive so that I could copy/paste that VST folder on the new Windows C drive. This isn't the first time i've had to do this, but it is the first time i have come across this issue.

Now that Windows is reinstalled, plugins are pasted back to the "original" destination folder, etc, I load up a project I was working on before all of this and I go to "add fx to chain", None of my plugins are showing up in the selection window. I checked Reaper's settings on VST destinations and everything, and it all seems to be correct. HOWEVER, this is where the issue throws me off:

Although I am unable to go through all my plugins and select one to add to the insert, the previous chains that were saved to the project file will play all of the old plugins. In other words, The plugins show up in the actual FX chain, but will not show up if I decide to add one to the chain. Does that make any sense? If not, below are 2 screenshots of the problem. Disregard the lengthy signal chain, as this is just a template for a universal guitar chain.

Here, you can see that the plugin "Reverberate LE" is visible and able to be used in this FX chain.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8017980/pics/snipsneap1.PNG

In this second shot, you can see that when I go to add another instance to the project, it does not show up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8017980/pics/snipsneap2.PNG

I realize that if I really wanted to add another instance of this plugin, I could just drag and drop. But this issue applies to almost all of my plugins. (The only ones it doesn't apply to are the ones I have reacquired onto my hard drive since the installation of Windows occured) and the real inconvenience comes in when, say for example, I'm listening to a snare track and I decide it needs some extra compression and I want to look through my library of VSTs to see what is available and try different ones to see which sounds best... Well, I cannot do that. So my workflow is heavily different for the time being. Anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Try running Reaper as Administrator. There are a few plugins that, for whatever reason, won't show up otherwise - I think some IK stuff is known to do that.

Other than that, I have no idea. I just looked through a project file and some of the Reaper .ini files (stored in User/App Data/Roaming/Reaper on Windows, if you're looking for them) and all of the plugins are listed just as "Reverberate LE.dll" with no path information other than the the VST Plugin Path setting from the options menu. Is there any chance, at all, that there are two copies of your VST folder that Reaper is able to see, and for whatever reason it's loading them from one for your existing projects but scanning somewhere else that doesn't work? Just a thought.