Sidechaining in metal

preampdude

May 5, 2009
London UK
I saw that tutorial thread and it made me curious. Can you think of any metal cds that use sidechaining on gtrs, bass gtr and drums? (I'm not refering to sidechaining for drums mixing alone)

There's this part in a song that I'm currenlty mixing where the snare, floor tom, kick and all guitars and bass are hitting eighth notes for a measure. The compressor is pumping like crazy there. I wonder if this part could benefit from some sidechaining.

you see normally sidechaining for pumping music is left for rock, dance & other styles. when you bring it into a metal mix it becomes pretty difficult to make it accurately pump at high tempo's - for example between the kick & bass - it normally just turns into having a serious volume problem when you side chain like that.

on five finger death punches album it sounds like there may be some sidechaining between the guitars and the drum bus but only very slight - its very hard to hear it.
on hatebreed's perseverance album i can also hear some side chain compression between the guitars and the vocals, lowish ratio, medium attack with a pretty quick release
on lamb of god's - as the palaces burn album i can hear some side chain between again the guitar bus & the vocal bus - again low ratio

although that could all just be mastering compression because its hard to tell when the ratio is so low that you cant even hear it pump. from what i heard its used more in a dj's sense of dropping the volume of the music in order for the vocals to raise in the mix, not to make the tracks pump