Gating... Compression.... Guitars... ?

WesNyle269

Oct 10, 2008
Niles, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, so ive been recording using one Audix i5 and a Shure SM57 dual micing and it sounds pretty good but im still getting like a fuzz/dead air or whatever.... HOW do I make my guitar sound full and get rid of unnecessary noise....? Please help!!!

SoundClick bro :D Top way 'round here. High(ish) quality streaming music without the need for download. No point in downloading a bunch of crap we're only gonna criticize, right? ;)

All in the all not a bad recording. Use a hi-pass filter and bring it down to a nice sounding level, usually where you still have definition but don't have the seriously insane highs that you're hearing.

"Drop the gain, bump up the mids and increase the volume." +1 Especially the pre-gain, that's some serious buzzing right there. Quad-tracking makes it a warmer mix (4 takes, two left, two right, panned like so - 100%, 80%, 80%, 100%) But bi-tracking is fine too if you watch your tone and those highs.

i can already tell, you don't have enough mids, way too much bass. there isn't enough lower range highs, and a bit too much upper highs. Run a high pass at 120, a low pass at 12K, use a high shelf and bump up the highs a 5K and slightly raise the mids (about 700 with a Q of 0.5-.03). And most of all double track. If you want a tight sound where you can really hear the details of the guitars, do not quad track, if you want a wall of huge sound quad track, but keep in mind quad tracking takes a lot of tweaking to get a mix right, overall you can get a good result with less of a headache with dual tracking.

i can already tell, you don't have enough mids, way too much bass. there isn't enough lower range highs, and a bit too much upper highs. Run a high pass at 120, a low pass at 12K, use a high shelf and bump up the highs a 5K and slightly raise the mids (about 700 with a Q of 0.5-.03). And most of all double track. If you want a tight sound where you can really hear the details of the guitars, do not quad track, if you want a wall of huge sound quad track, but keep in mind quad tracking takes a lot of tweaking to get a mix right, overall you can get a good result with less of a headache with dual tracking.

I did dual tacking but as for the rest of what you just said.... im lost lol. Im very "recording illiterate" lol like I dont know a THING on ANY sort of technical term. "Low pass at 12k"? use a high shelf? Yeah NONE of that I know, its like hearing a new language..... I REALLY need someone to like to that track I have and make a tutorial video with it lol that way ill know what the High pass at 120 and ALL that stuff means..... sorry guys I know noobs are annoying but I am REALLY confused with recording "Lingo" BUT on "flip side" ( im gangster its kool lol J/K ing) THANK YOU!!! I might not understand what you said BUT I still want to thank you for taking time and trying to instruct me even though im kind of recording retarded lol.
:headbang:

I did dual tacking but as for the rest of what you just said.... im lost lol. Im very "recording illiterate" lol like I dont know a THING on ANY sort of technical term. "Low pass at 12k"? use a high shelf? Yeah NONE of that I know, its like hearing a new language..... I REALLY need someone to like to that track I have and make a tutorial video with it lol that way ill know what the High pass at 120 and ALL that stuff means..... sorry guys I know noobs are annoying but I am REALLY confused with recording "Lingo" BUT on "flip side" ( im gangster its kool lol J/K ing) THANK YOU!!! I might not understand what you said BUT I still want to thank you for taking time and trying to instruct me even though im kind of recording retarded lol.

What he is saying is all stuff to do with EQ.

A low pass is when you get rid of all the high frequencies from a certain point on. "Low pass at 12k" means that you will get rid of everything that has a higher frequency than 12khz (if you look at an eq plugin, it will show some of the frequencies so you know where they are) A low pass is sometimes called a high cut.

A high pass is exactly the opposite. It means to get rid of everythin below a certain frequency. High pass at 120 means to get rid of all frequencies lower than 120hz. A high pass is sometimes called a low cut.

haha its okay, the above post pretty much simplifies the lingo. i was curious about your track so i downloaded it and tried some eq'ing myself to really see where everything needs to be. i actually ended up bringing the highs up even more, reduced the bass a bit and brought the 1000 hz mids up.

the way you have to think of it is that you can't judge the tone when its not in a final mix, that high end that you are complaining is there in virtually every guitar track, but is not noticeable when you add some drums and bass. If you were to bring those highs down to where you couldn't hear that anymore, your guitars in a mix would sound muffled, especially taking into consideration how high the bass is.