Generation Prog Festival 2011 in Nürnberg, Germany - September 23/24

Kyo

Myung at Heart
Oct 20, 2009
Nuremberg, Germany
www.myspace.com
Hi everyone,

I didn't want to intrude on these grounds just like that, but now that René himself has invited me to promote my prog festival here, I'll gladly share this with you! :)

I've always wished for something like ProgPower Europe in Germany, preferrably further in the South. Maybe a bit less on the "power" side of things, but instead with a further definition of the "prog" bit - with some fusiony instrumental bands, for example. Like my own! :lol: As usual with these things, they don't really happen unless you take matters into your own hands...

After half a year of work, this dream is about to become reality: The Generation Prog Festival 2011 will take place on September 23rd and 24th at the "Luise - The Cultfactory" in Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Germany. Here's our official promo poster with the full lineup:

GenProg_Poster_full_lineup_600.jpg

Don't miss this if you can make it! It's going to be an awesome weekend and we're hoping for quite a few guests from abroad (especially from Austria and Switzerland, obviously) given the rather special lineup: It's Andromeda's first German gig in five years, Exivious' debut on German soil, one of the first non-UK gigs for Haken and one of the rare occasions to see my own band Relocator live! :)

To make things even more interesting, both Subsignal and Haken want to bring advance copies of their upcoming albums and sell them ahead of the release date.

Here's the preliminary schedule:
Friday, September 23:
23:15 Haken
21:50 Exivious
20:25 Effloresce
19:30 Ocean Spout

Saturday, September 24:
23:00 Andromeda
21:45 Relocator
20:25 Subsignal
19:30 Theory of Elements

Weekend tickets are 40 Euro, single-day tickets are 21 (will be 22 at the door).

More information and tickets available here:
http://www.generation-prog.com (mostly German, but there's a small English section with all the relevant information and news)

Even more information and behind-the-scenes nonsense here:
http://www.facebook.com/GenerationProg (English)

But wait - there's more! :lol:

When you're staging a prog festival for modern and somewhat obscure prog bands, you try to think of ways to make those bands more popular to maximize your audience. But of course there's nothing quite as persuasive as the actual music those bands are playing! I am very happy that thanks to the help of Prog Sphere and the bands and labels involved I was able to put together this awesome compilation:

Free download here: http://www.prog-sphere.com/2011/08/31/a-progstravaganza-special-the-new-generation-of-prog

Over 68 minutes of hand-picked modern classics (or at least they should be!) from some of my favorite modern prog bands. There is some mindblowing stuff here: "The Point Of No Return" from Haken's celebrated debut Aquarius (over 11 minutes!), Andromeda's incredible 17 minute epic "Veil of Illumination", Exivious' awesome "Waves Of Thought" - in my opinion it simply doesn't get any better! And of course I hope you'll also enjoy the track that my own band Relocator contributed - our fan favorite Aavishkar, another track that's over 10 minutes long! :)

Enjoy and spread the word - or in this case, the link! :D

All the best,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Generation Prog will be helluva festival for sure! But could you please shift your future festivals a bit off of progpower? 2 weekends of progparty in a row is too much for an old fart like me.
So I decided to join yours on Saturday only, hard decision, allowing me some remaining powers for ppe.

And that not being enough, I found myself being too late for booking a ppe package deal and not finding another affordable accomodation for ppe. So atm I'm hanging there nervously, hoping Renè finds a gap I can fill. I'm losing big time this year... :erk:

Anyhow, see you next weekend!

Hi Michael,

Generation Prog will be helluva festival for sure! But could you please shift your future festivals a bit off of progpower? 2 weekends of progparty in a row is too much for an old fart like me.
So I decided to join yours on Saturday only, hard decision, allowing me some remaining powers for ppe.

And that not being enough, I found myself being too late for booking a ppe package deal and not finding another affordable accomodation for ppe. So atm I'm hanging there nervously, hoping Renè finds a gap I can fill. I'm losing big time this year... :erk:

Anyhow, see you next weekend!

shit, any hotels in the vicinity that are actually cheapo enough? Or maybe someone nearby can put you up for the night?

If all else fails, there's always extra beds at the castle, Ray. Imo you should just come to the castle and see who has some space available :) There's always room for the man with the espresso machine!

Edit: last year we had 3-4 extra beds. So yeah :p

Renè took care of course!

Quote: "Just send you the payment details, we have a place fo you of course!!"

You'll have to bear me, my friends! :Smokin:

Now is there somebody who will join us on Generation Prog for an advanced neck break with Andromeda?

For a minute there Ray it looked like I was sleeping in the car so you could have my bunk. At least that way my roomates would possibly get some shut eye without the Snoremonster keeping them awake.

Hi Michael,

Hard to say this early. Getting slots at good venues isn't that easy, it was hard enough to get one to give us a full weekend for this edition of the festival. And there are so many factors that need to be considered! The original plan was to stage the whole thing in early September, but while we managed to get the Luise (pretty much the ideal venue for this) to agree to a two-day event, they were still going to be on their summer holiday break until September 11. And the weekend after that, Haken were already booked for ProgPower USA - and I really wanted them for Generation Prog, as we'd been trying to organize some gig(s) with them for a while now. The extra publicity that they got from their Night of the Prog appearance was ideal, too - and since both Andromeda and Exivious were also available on the 23rd/24th, that pretty much decided the date! A week later we have not only ProgPower Europe, but also the Freakshow Artrock Festival just 100 km from here (Würzburg) and the Progressive Promotion Anniversary Festival in Rüsselsheim (about 230 km), so it would've been suicide for us - and after that the risk of overlap with some other tours like Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Opeth or Dream Theater was just too great.

So much for this year's date. Who knows what next year will look like scheduling-wise? :)

Wow, there's quite a schedule for the die hard progger!

All you organizers should get together and plan how to not stand your ways. ;)

And I keep saying this: We need some sort of spring prog.