genuine uncomprehension... IK Multimedia iRig

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
If you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/
main.jpg

For real... can someone please clarify for me wtf is the purpose of iRig? I hate when I constantly get emails and facebook updates from IK on it and I don't get the hype. It's just an application for iPhone so you can play your guitar. Since it requires the dongle, it's something totally new even; Vox made their mini amp-plug years ago. (edit: Oh yeah, and then there is this...)

I would understand if you could record with it, so you could write down ideas. IF you happen to have your guitar, and a cable and the fucking iRig with you. but that is not the case. For the same effort you could just have a laptop or a small amp like Marshall MS2 with you to play.

So, can someone please atleast try to explain the hype to me? I don't really even understand the market here (other than the people who own a guitar and an iphone)

I think the key selling points is good tone and mobility.
Imagine playing in a party band, instead of having to carry your gear to the gigs.. you just drive up, plug in your iphone and its go time.

Sure there is the Marshall MS2 or the vox thing, but do you really enjoy playing with those ?.. I mean the tone is pretty shit and not really usable.

now I have not tried the iRig but based on some stuff I read about it seems to deliver a very decent tone with minimal effort.

I like jamming through the Vox Amplug Metal.

However, the iRig seems totally fucking useless to me.

Imagine playing in a party band, instead of having to carry your gear to the gigs.. you just drive up, plug in your iphone and its go time.

umm, what? you do realize that iphone speaker has maybe like 1 meter useful range. :err: if you have to connect it to a pa, I would rather connect like a pod or even the pocket pod (but not the pocket pod expess, that was just shit), and you can easily fit one into your guitarbag.

umm, what? you do realize that iphone speaker has maybe like 1 meter useful range. :err: if you have to connect it to a pa, I would rather connect like a pod or even the pocket pod (but not the pocket pod expess, that was just shit), and you can easily fit one into your guitarbag.

Ah yeah, of course you have to hook it up to the PA.
I would never buy this myself as I would have no use for it, and I can see why you would think its useless..

but I think the reason why this product is a bit special is the plug in and play with minimal effort while having a good tone part.. and also (this might the biggest reason) because its a awesome display of technology.