hardware speaker sim for monitoring

Rip-G

"Rip" was already taken
Sep 5, 2008
Poland
dehumanizer.org
I want to give the drummer in my band a better monitoring system. He already has a small mixer which he uses to amplify the metronome. I could give him line out from bass amp and vocals. Guitars are more tricky since I would like to avoid miking the amps and use line out / effect send. Therefore I need a hardware speaker sim. Is there anything small, cheap and simple that would do this job? Something like IK Multimedia iRig would be great but obviously I don't want to use an IPhone. I was thinking of some older guitar pedals but I'm not sure if it would be better than miking the amps.

I've never tried it, but the Jet City Jet Direct sounds like what you're looking for. And it's only $50

Thanks! Yeah, looks great and I love that it's passive but Thomann.de doesn't have it so it might be hard to buy in Europe... Any alternatives? I would look myself but it doesn't seem like there's a name for the type of this device.

On the cheap, Behringer Ultra-G. It is a little bright but I actually will often choose it over speaker sims found in multi-fx units. Mine have been through hell and still work great.

In higher price ranges, lots of options. But you can buy 2 Ultra-G's for the price of most others.

Thanks guys. Radial I'm sure is great but it would be a waste of money for monitoring purposes. Behringer seems reasonable. Looking in DI-boxes with speaker sims I also found this Harley Benton unit. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pocket_guitar_di_box.htm
Seems to be similar to Behringer but it's even cheaper. I'm not sure which one to choose. I'm bit shy when it comes to Behringer but HB is Thomann.de brand so it could anything.