• Code Red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M-16

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Mad Dog

Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
It seems that nobody has posted a Sodom thread yet and I thought why not start one on your own? So here we are: anybody into those German sons of a bitch? Which one is your favorite album by them? I still have a hard time to choose between Persecution Mania and Agent Orange. Everytime I pick one I change my mind, go for the other one and the whole thing starts all over again. Right now, my vote goes for Agent Orange. Or should I better have taken Perseccution Mania? Ugh, this is really tough...

I love all SODOM-albums!! Well, at least all that I have heard, since the ones between Tapping The Vein and Code Red I am not that familiar with, only have heard a few songs. But my favorite still has to be Obsessed By Cruelty (the European vinyl release). I also like In The Sign Of Evil MLP and the Victims Of Death-demo very much.

@Thrash Metal Tormentor -

That's just my opinion, but I think you haven't missed that much as Sodom lost their way in the 90s. Tapping The Vein was their last really good effort. Get What You Deserve was too Punk-ish for my taste and Masquerade In Blood sucks big time. Their worst album! 'til Death Do Us Unite has some good moments, but altogether it took Sodom until Code Red to get back in the saddle. oh, by the way: it's good to know that there are still a few maniacs left who can appreciate the Obsessed By Cruelty album. The re-recorded version is awesome!

If you haven't ever heard anything from Sodom, then you might want to know a little bit about their sound. They went through quite some changes over the years starting with early Black Metal on their first two releases which sound like a mixture of Venom, early Bathory and Destruction. Are you familiar with any of the German 80s Thrash bands at all (e.g. Kreator or Destruction)? I'd not recommend these to start with though. I like 'em a lot, but I guess, you have to be really into Sodom to find them at least interesting.
Anyway, things were progressing after that and their style changed to pure Thrash. That's the way I like them best and most fans agree with me on this. So I believe, that if there is anything at all which you might like from this band then it'll be Agent Orange ('89) and Persecution Mania ('87). You can't go wrong with these two.
On the next effort, called Better Off Dead, Sodom tried to introduce a few Motorhead- and AC/DC-elements to their sound. A decent album, although many disagree with me. 1992's Tapping The Vein saw them return to pure Old School Thrash and a year later they re-surfaced with a Punk-ish approach on Get What You Deserve. I was totally into it when it hit the racks at first but meanwhile I think it stinks. You know, it's like you listen to it for the first time and go: wow, these guys sure have some powerful tracks there. But after a while the songs become more and more boring.
Next release was Masquerade In Blood and although Sodom returned to their Thrash roots once again, I really have a hard time listening to it. That's just my opinion, but I can't think of a single song on it which I like.
Things got better again with 'til Death Do Us Unite but still it is just an average output. It took Sodom another two years to come back with a real skullcracker. Code Red is as fast and heavy as Thrash can get. When I first heard the opening track I mistook it for the new Slayer record. This is also a good album to start with.
The last release so far is M-16 which left pure Thrash and offered some catchy chorus tunes. It's not as fast nor as heavy as it's predecessor but if you don't have any problems with mid-tempo albums this one also might be of interest.

It was tough, but I have to go with Persecution Mania. It's pretty much neck and neck with Agent Orange for me, but PM gets the sentimental vote because it was the first cd I ever bought (not album or tape, but compact disc).

I don't own any Sodom albums yet but I have some of their stuff downloaded and I am really impressed. I am gonna buy some of their albums soon. According to a buddy of mine "Agent Orange" is the best.

Persecution Mania, probably because that was the first Sodom I heard, Agent Orange is also a great album, especially the track Remember The Fallen, I definately liked them more when Blackfire was still in the band, haven't listened to their more rescent discs.