Visit site
Anyone can translate me these lines, I need them very much
Thanx

Im Garten des Pfarrers von Taubenhain
Geht’s irre bei Nacht in der Laube.

[....]

"Hast du dir erbuhlt für die Wiege das Kind,
So hebe dich mir aus den Augen geschwind
Und schaff’ auch den Mann dir ins Bette!

that's quite archaic language

i'll try to make the meaning as clear as possible by not translating literal but that's a bit tricky as i don't know the context

in the garden of the priest of Taubenhain
something mind-blowing is going on in the bower

if you courted the child for the cradle
get out of my view
and also get the man in your bed

hope i could help

thanx so much you helped a lot, if you could help me with these lines tto, it would be great :)

Laß du sie nur reiten, und fahren und gehn!
Laß du sie sich werben zu Schanden!

Ich hab’ ein gut Wörtchen zu kosen mit dir;
Das muß ich dir heimlich vertrauen.
D’rauf hätt’ ich gern heimlich erwünschten Bescheid.

Er sparte kein Locken, die schüchterne Scham
Zu seinem Gelüste zu kirren.

Vermaß er sich teuer, vermaß er sich hoch:

So let her ride, drive and go!
Let her court herself to shame!

I have some good words to fond with you;
I have to commit them secretly.
I would like to have the desired answer secretly.

He spared not with attracting, to make the shy shame
supple to his delight.

He was mistaken costly, he was mistaken high (he was very mistaken...)

greetings

wow you were quick thanx :greetings:
a question about the word

erbuhlt = courted?
kirren = supple?

because I didn't find these words on the dictionary, and "courted" you mean to obtain, not to woo right?

"buhlen" means "to court".
"erbuhlen" is quite the same, but the prefix "er" should be related to "her" or "hier", which means "here", so it indicates the direction. I hope, I'm right on this one... :D
But I have to say that I have never heard this word before...

Same with "kirren". I looked it up in the Duden and it means "to drive one crazy", but that does not fit the context. Maybe the author meant "herumirren" - "to stray".

This lines are from Gottfried A. Bürger, so German litterature, "kirren" is a strange word because I goggled it and it seems relates also to wild-life, somewhere I perhaps understood it can mean "to feed" but also "supple" suppose is good as seeing in a French prose translation it translates "écarter" (to open wide) meaning to win the resistence of the girl

"kirren" means to make someone kirre. what i did know about this word is that it is originaly jiddish and is today basically a synonyme for verrückt or irre meaning mad. but that did not quite fit the context so i looked it up on www.dwds.de and it said that kirre can also mean supple or compliant.

Thidrek i think you're basically right with erbuhlen. it can be approached with "to obtain sth. by courting"

too bad dwds is only in German, Leo dic. is good for english-German translation but it hadn't kirren and erbuhlen
It seems kirren exists also in finnish :?

On a side note: Schumacher was third but if we fight we can do it. To hell with Alonso! :)