Getting a yellow labrador puppy

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Found a breeder here who breeds pedigreed yellow labs and sells the puppies, only at a much lower cost because he doesn't pedigree the offspring. I personally don't care about the pedigree as long as I can see the parents and see their documentation; I'm not going to start a breeding farm or anything nor am I going to go around saying, "Ooooh, check out his pedigree!"

In any case, 2 months old and all shots done for 350 euros...can't pass up this deal. I've lived with labs all my life but never had to raise one on my own. Any advice or personal experiences? The only thing I remember is DON'T LEAVE YOUR SHOES LYING AROUND, :lol:. They love to chew on everything.

I plan on training him myself, as I've helped train duck dogs, but he'll be trained just because they need to be trained. He'll be an indoor/outdoor dog as well.

I'll post pics as soon as I get him home. Gonna name him Marduk. Duke for short.

Advice? I don't know how much you know about dog training, but read books and go to dog school. A labrador is usually a more permissive type of dog, but he still needs to be trained, because unlike what most people think, the main reason a dog disobeys is because his owner taught him badly. Also remember that a dog doesn't reason the way we humans do. A dog gives loyalty for different reasons that humans do. It cares for kindness, sure, but the only way to teach him respect and loyalty is by showing you're higher in rank than he is. No dog, no matter how gentle it is, and how kind you are, will listen to commands because his owner loves him very much. He'll listen to commands because he respects his owner, and because his owner taught him in a consistent and clear manner.

Advice? I don't know how much you know about dog training, but read books and go to dog school. A labrador is usually a more permissive type of dog, but he still needs to be trained, because unlike what most people think, the main reason a dog disobeys is because his owner taught him badly. Also remember that a dog doesn't reason the way we humans do. A dog gives loyalty for different reasons that humans do. It cares for kindness, sure, but the only way to teach him respect and loyalty is by showing you're higher in rank than he is. No dog, no matter how gentle it is, and how kind you are, will listen to commands because his owner loves him very much. He'll listen to commands because he respects his owner, and because his owner taught him in a consistent and clear manner.

That's pretty much my attitude towards training dogs. Fair and firm.

I was raised around labs and helped train them for duck retrieving as well as just regular manners and obedience. However, I haven't had to train one from a puppy. I know they tend to be a bit rambunctious and are a particular breed in which it's a necessity to train for obedience. It's just the getting started that I'd like some information for if you have it. I mean, you can't start off by twisting ears and spanking for discipline like you can when they're older, as well as the praises. When they're older, you don't need to lavish lots of praise on them constantly or they get spoiled. But from a pup, I'm unsure as to how to approach it.

Um, well, while this is completely true and very insightful, as someone who's owned and trained a number of rotties, which are comparable to labs as "children" in one way, I can also say that a dog also disobeys when you can't get it's attention. I call it "Puppy ADD".

Alpha Bitch (Mom): "Spot, Sit."
Spot: [Spot? I'm Spot! Mom wants me to sit! Sitting! Good Spot!] *begins lowering haunches immediately* *stops 3/4 of the way down* [Ooooooo! Shiny flying bug...KITTY IS RUNNING!!!] *begins to unsit*

Good grief it takes a lot of patience to train that out of them! To that end, may I suggest you also work on "focus", which is basically making the dog stare at your third eye on command, and gradually increase distractions until it's not a problem. This is an awesome command for the vet's office! One of our trainers also suggested putting puppy on a 6' leash, but not at heel, and wandering with random purpose, forcing the puppy to pay attention to you to avoid the 'sudden' directional changes.

Congrats on the puppy, though! You sound like a responsible pet owner and I second the demand for puppy pictars!

I was raised around labs and helped train them for duck retrieving as well as just regular manners and obedience. However, I haven't had to train one from a puppy. I know they tend to be a bit rambunctious and are a particular breed in which it's a necessity to train for obedience. It's just the getting started that I'd like some information for if you have it. I mean, you can't start off by twisting ears and spanking for discipline like you can when they're older, as well as the praises. When they're older, you don't need to lavish lots of praise on them constantly or they get spoiled. But from a pup, I'm unsure as to how to approach it.

Oh, don't spank a dog! You'll only teach it that corporal punishment is acceptable for alphas over betas and then you'll have behavioral issues. Use the deathmetal growl of shame and a noise-maker instead. Get an empty aluminum can, put a few small rocks in it, and tape it shut. Throw it at the ground or smack your own hand when puppy is disobedient. Correct puppy with death metal growl of shame tone of voice.

Potty training and no are the first commands to teach a puppy. When the potty is in the wrong place, bring the puppy in where it can observe, and scold the potty. Bad potty! Then clean it up, take it out where you want the dog to potty, and praise the potty and the puppy. Praise the puppy when it goes in the right place, too. We call it a potty party and it goes to a conga tune: "Tink go potty out-side! Tink go potty out-side!" No is a sharp command, of course, and is followed immediately with the can rattle. I also use a warning when I see them thinking about disobeying (see Puppy ADD above). It's the sound your mother probably used with you "Ah ah ah..." in a warning tone of voice.

While working on potty training, be sure to take puppy's food away while puppy is eating, put a cookie or treat in it, and then set it back down. This teaches puppy in a positive way that Alpha can mess with his/her food at will, while eliminating the anxiety and potential negative behaviors over the issue. Also, play with puppy's feet constantly while puppy is young to desensitize it to toenail trimmies. Expose puppy at a young age to fun things and while it's having fun, stop the puppy to bring it to you and pet it and love it, then send it back to have fun. This conditioning will help you later with commands like "come" and "hold/freeze" because puppy won't associate them with the fun ending. While puppy is very young and small, wrestle with it while it is on it's back and you're over it. This is something puppy will enjoy, while sending the message that you're Alpha.

And don't forget the pictars!!! :D

Thank you so much Nightshade! Those are very insightful and interesting approaches and exactly the kind I'm looking for! I've trained them from the "halfway" point until the final stages, but the beginnings I've never had to encounter; consequently, the beginning is the most difficult.

On a side note, I also live in a house of three cats and three turtles...this is going to be interesting, at least for the cats. I'm sure Cleopatra (my "boss" cat) is going to have to take charge as she did with the other cats, but she'll get used to the puppy. She'll always be in charge, though...I can see that now.

Yellow? Are they different to Golden Labradors or are you just calling Golden Labradors yellow for some reason?

Thank you so much Nightshade! Those are very insightful and interesting approaches and exactly the kind I'm looking for! I've trained them from the "halfway" point until the final stages, but the beginnings I've never had to encounter; consequently, the beginning is the most difficult.

On a side note, I also live in a house of three cats and three turtles...this is going to be interesting, at least for the cats. I'm sure Cleopatra (my "boss" cat) is going to have to take charge as she did with the other cats, but she'll get used to the puppy. She'll always be in charge, though...I can see that now.

Oh, you're welcome - anytime! Don't worry about the cats, though. They'll teach puppy while puppy is young that they're alpha. If you have trouble with puppy not getting their lessons, put puppy on his back, straddle him and hold and pet the kitty while puppy is in that position. Again - alpha training. I doubt you'll need it though. Skippy can grab Star's face and start gnawing on his head like a scene out of Aliens, and he'll just look at me and blink. He seems to say, "Mommy? Kitty's stuck to my face again." Cats learn fast only to run in front of puppy when they want to be chased. In that case, kitty is being evil and disobedient. I had to teach my kitty "no". Now THAT was interesting. :D

Yellow? Are they different to Golden Labradors or are you just calling Golden Labradors yellow for some reason?

You're confusing Golden Retrievers with Yellow Labrador Retrievers. Golden Retrievers are long-haired dogs while the Yellow is a short-haired. Yellow Labs are a little more square in the snout and Golden Retrievers are a little more elongated. I've seen Goldens look astonishingly similar to Yellow Labs, though.

Labrador Retrievers are Yellow, Black, or Chocolate.

Yellow lab:

Orvis_Yellow_Labrador_Retriever_01j.jpg

Golden Retriever:

300px-Golden_retriever.jpg

Oh, you're welcome - anytime! Don't worry about the cats, though. They'll teach puppy while puppy is young that they're alpha. If you have trouble with puppy not getting their lessons, put puppy on his back, straddle him and hold and pet the kitty while puppy is in that position. Again - alpha training. I doubt you'll need it though. Skippy can grab Star's face and start gnawing on his head like a scene out of Aliens, and he'll just look at me and blink. He seems to say, "Mommy? Kitty's stuck to my face again." Cats learn fast only to run in front of puppy when they want to be chased. In that case, kitty is being evil and disobedient. I had to teach my kitty "no". Now THAT was interesting. :D

Haha, yeah...training cats is a chore! Cleo loves me to death, though, and she's my wife's cat. I'm very stern and strong towards them, as well as cuddly, so she has chosen me as her master. She actually minds what I tell her and will talk back to me if she disagrees. We have a mutual respect. :lol:

Haha, yeah...training cats is a chore! Cleo loves me to death, though, and she's my wife's cat. I'm very stern and strong towards them, as well as cuddly, so she has chosen me as her master. She actually minds what I tell her and will talk back to me if she disagrees. We have a mutual respect. :lol:
Ha! Yes, that's exactly what Skippy and I have going on. She'll even tell me when the puppy's want in. She's got a specific cry she uses when she sees them at the back door. She's a helper!

Ha! Yes, that's exactly what Skippy and I have going on. She'll even tell me when the puppy's want in. She's got a specific cry she uses when she sees them at the back door. She's a helper!

Cats are so human-like that it's scary! My other cat Banjo is more like Murderface from Dethklok. A complete idiot who only responds to food.

I also have a small kitty named Camilla that we saved from abandonment in a tree by her mother. I nursed her back to health as a teeny tiny kitten only two or three days old. She was obviously the runt of the litter and the mother had abandoned her. I took her in and now she's really sweet and friendly...just doesn't like to be held. Nearly two years old now but looks like she's six months. She'll talk to you all day, though.

Cats are so human-like that it's scary! My other cat Banjo is more like Murderface from Dethklok. A complete idiot who only responds to food.

I also have a small kitty named Camilla that we saved from abandonment in a tree by her mother. I nursed her back to health as a teeny tiny kitten only two or three days old. She was obviously the runt of the litter and the mother had abandoned her. I took her in and now she's really sweet and friendly...just doesn't like to be held. Nearly two years old now but looks like she's six months. She'll talk to you all day, though.
:lol: I love the talkers! Skippy and I can have a conversation for hours. She's a Balinese/Oriental cat mix, which is to say she's a close cousin to the Siamese - very vocal. Mittens, who died years ago, was half Siamese and would do the same thing. He kitten, Tigger, was more like your Banjo. Mittens would go after and catch birds, Tigger would stake out a mole hole for 3 days 'till he got it - it was more his speed.

the difference between a yellow lab and golden retriever is like the difference between yellow discipline and golden showers.

Slight differences in the look and temperament, but overall both are quite satisfying and fulfilling.

I just got him. Anna couldn't wait until next week so we took him home tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to get all his supplies. Cats are curious and wary, but harmless. Banjo doesn't even care...he wants to cuddle with him.

Just gave him a bath and he's all nice and clean and tuckered out. Found out why he wasn't pedigreed...about half a centimeter overbite. THAT'S IT. Ironically, he was the most beautiful of the litter.

BATH TIME!

CIMG3764.jpg

CIMG3765.jpg

CIMG3766.jpg

NAP TIME! (With Banjo standing guard)

CIMG3769.jpg