Getting an acoustic guitar

Jan [MTW]

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
Hey guys,
I'm playing electric guitar now for 4 years and I've never owned an acoustic guitar.
I want to try something new, that's why I decided the next thing I'll buy will be one.
Now I have some questions concerning acoustic guitars:
-Most acoustic songs like the Paramore ones are played and a western guitar, right? Because that's how i want my guitar to sound.
-there're dreadnought guitars, jumbo guitars, roundback guitars...
which model should I choose when i want a simular sound as Paramore? (I really am into them since discovered them here in the forum! :D)

What I know is that a massive body is better than a laminated one, right?

Would be cool if you could answer my question and maybe even recommend me a good guitar for 400€ downwards!

Thanks. :wave:

For a cheap acoustic guitar it's hard to beat the Washburn D10-S. They are well under 200 and have the features of much more expensive guitars. You won't get a better acoustic then that until you start looking at entry level Taylors and other guitars around the 500-600 mark.

I really like Alverez.
My own acoustic is some rad Yamaha, but it's more of a stage acoustic, doesn't sound as nice mic'd up as it does plugged in.

I suggest looking for an old Yamaha FG - they are typically known to be good

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to chime in with advice like this 3 or 4 times a day, but I'll go ahead and post it here too.

Do not buy an acoustic guitar based on internet advice.

Acoustic guitars vary so widely, even among identical models, that the best thing to do is to take a day and drive to all your local music stores and play every guitar you can afford. I could tell you to go buy a Taylor 310, but if you take 4 Taylor 310s off the wall they will most likely sound noticeably different. My first guitar was a $300 Samick acoustic that sounds amazing, but I would never tell you to go buy a Samick because I really just lucked out and got a good one.

Actually playing as many guitars as possible gives you a much better chance of finding one that appeals to you more than the rest. Buy that one.

Plus it's fun! Who doesn't like walking into a music store with cash in hand and playing a bunch of guitars?

Thanks for the advice dude!
I'll drive to my local music store in a few days. But the shitty thing is that this store doesnt have that many guitars. I'd love to have a thomann store near to where i live! :(

I found the Tanglewood TW115 CE and it seems like it's a fucking nice guitar for the price. But there're two different versions of it.
One is all solid and the other one is only half solid. Is it a big difference when the back isn't solid?
I'm asking because the price difference is like 100€, but if it's realy worth it I'd go for it.
Since i'm in a new pricerange now you could also post guitars that are better for the money than the tanglewood.

Ist bei Hannover nicht PPC-die sollten doch ne halbwegs ordentliche Auswahl haben der Internetseite nach.

So, for everybody else:
Yes, trying it out is a must for acoustics, like BlueLight Corey said, the differences are even bigger than for
electrical guitars. My favorite acoustic for example is a pretty shitty old guitar that the father of my gf bought
30 years ago on a marketsale for a few bucks, but it just sounds right for me.
If you want to use it for live stuff, too, check the pickup system, there are a few acoustic guitars I like, but as
soon as you play them with the pickup (piezo or magnetic or whatever) they sound shitty, and others sound way
better through the pickup system than acoustic, imho.

And a big plus one on tanglewood and yamaha, liked almost every acoustic guitar of these companies.