getting guitars to fit the mix

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
a question to those of you who record/reamp real guitars:

i wonder what your basic procedure is like.....are you starting by getting the amp to sound slammin' in the room, then mic it up so that the mic'ed signal represents the sound in the room well, then see how it fits the mix?
now, if it doesn't fit the mix, will you start with adjusting mic position, or amp settings?

right now i tend to start by dialing in a basic guitar tone, then adjusting the mic position to give me a clean signal, i.e. no strange fizz and no woofy bottom end. once i've done that i'll tweak amp settings so the recorded guitar tone fits the mix, i won't really change the mic position anymore though.
usually i'll end up with a recorded sound that fits the mix quite well, but sounds really strange in the room.

i just wonder if i might be better off getting the amp to sound slamming in the room, and then tweaking the mic position so it fits the mix.

i've only started to record real amps like half a year ago, so this might very well be a pretty newbish question hehe.

thanks in advance

+1.

"Usual wisdow" states that the amp/cab should sound great in the room and then you capture that, but .. the way I see it, I'm listening to the final product on the studio monitors, so I'm making decisions based on what I'm hearing through them and adjust accordingly.

Amp in the control room, cab in the live room. Setup with roughly whatever settings I'd be using (though this will need to be tweaked for different guitars)

Throw a 57 up and get tweaking the amp to get it to sit in the mix. Once that's about right I'll maybe throw up another couple of mic's and play with positioning to get a nice balance and deal with any fizziness/boominess etc. From there it's just tweaking both eq settings and mic position/choice until it's sitting nice in the mix.

Personally I couldn't give a crap if it's sounding crap in the room. It's how it sounds coming out the monitors with the rest of the mix that counts.