Getting Iced Earth style tone with free VST's (quick tutorial)

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
This is the first in what's hopefully to become a little series I'd like to do, on achieving certain popular tones with free plug-ins.

http://www.numbskullaudio.com/tone-...to-get-jon-schaffers-tone-using-free-plug-ins

I'd like some feedback, not just on the tone, but on the article itself. If it's too wordy/full of waffle/needs to be more concise and to the point then let me know.

I tried to make it so if you don't want to do any reading and just want to get straight to the point then the settings and everything are clearly visible.

Cheers!

This is quite close, his stuff sometimes sounds really distorted on the first listen and as soon as you listen closer
you realize that there's just loads of tight tracks with a heavy hitting hand...

Need to listen to Iced Earth more often again.

Grate job indeed, detailed article! Best part it's made with free stuff!
It would be interesting to see Blind Guardian tone remake.

Thanks dudes!

Yeah it was difficult of course because Schaffer stacks 8+ tracks of very low distortion, but for time/convenience I stopped at 4 :lol:

Cool, good to know the article isn't too waffle-y. I want it to have a point, so people don't just click off our of boredom.

Blind Guardian.. that's an interesting suggestion! So far I've had Evergrey, Black Album (of course!), and a few others.

Feel free to throw more suggestions up for the next one guys!

Yeah, it was nice detailed. Maybe your result should be next to your reference, because I started to wonder where is result I could get with that.
Another signature sound would be Dimebag's tone (probably it's really hard).

With new guitar I'm going to experiment myself, if I'll find something interesting I'll give you some ideas.

Great writing!!

it is perfect... and have been donde with free plug is push this a way more over the wonderfull line.

ill keep comming to check what else have you matched!

Thanks dudes!

Yeah it was difficult of course because Schaffer stacks 8+ tracks of very low distortion, but for time/convenience I stopped at 4 :lol:

Cool, good to know the article isn't too waffle-y. I want it to have a point, so people don't just click off our of boredom.

Blind Guardian.. that's an interesting suggestion! So far I've had Evergrey, Black Album (of course!), and a few others.

Feel free to throw more suggestions up for the next one guys!

He records 8 tracks per song? I do quadtracking and sometimes a I am facepalming myself because it takes a lot of time, even worse when the shit becomes too technical.

Evergrey it´s a great choice, you can add Exodus.

To echo what's already been said: you really did a great job with this. If it were just a "Here's what I did, this is the result" kind of article it would be rather stale. It's nice to get your insight on everything, and I really enjoyed your approach to writing this type of thing. Great job!

If I may add some potential articles that I'd like to see, Nevermore - "This Godless Endeavor", The Black Dahlia Murder - "Nocturnal"

This is seriously awesome, the cutting Iced Earth sound has been one i've been trying to get close to for a while though its pretty hard considering how expensive those larry amps are. Might make this my new go to ampsim preset, thanks mate!

Very nice dude! There are lot of guitar guitar tones out there! Blind Guardian would be cool, that guitar tone seems to be more tied to their producer then it is the guitarist, since other projects he does the guitars sound VERY Blind Guardian.

BUT if I had to choose a tone, probably the guitar tone from stratovarius's new album nemesis. It sounds so awesome 0_0. I know he uses an Engl head. And the TC Nova System, not sure what, if anything else.

Thanks for the great feedback guys, it's really appreciated! :)

Next one is gonna be Blinded by Evergrey, but keep the suggestions rolling and I'll put them all in a pile so I've always got something to do if I run out of ideas!

Thanks for the great feedback guys, it's really appreciated! :)

Next one is gonna be Blinded by Evergrey, but keep the suggestions rolling and I'll put them all in a pile so I've always got something to do if I run out of ideas!

Hey dude, under processing you mentioned "if you look closely on the D6 cab-impulse you will see that I have also low-passed at 10khz."

Look where? I didn't see it on the page.